The 32-year-old Spaniard also secured his 17th major trophy, which moves him within three of great rival Roger Federer's all-time record.
If there were any reason for a bit of intrigue entering Sunday's match, it was this: Thiem beat Nadal in two sets on red clay at Rome in May 2017 and again at Madrid last month.
The 24-year old, who is making his Grand Slam final debut, has already lost twice to Nadal in Paris, but said that he has a strategy already worked out. In the other semi-final, Marco Cecchinato's unusual run in the last two weeks was ended by Dominic Thiem, also in straight sets, although the first two sets were somewhat closer than anything Del Potro could muster.More news: Canada loses 7500 jobs in May but unemployment rate unchanged
A left hand cramp in the third and final set proved to be no real obstacle for Nadal, the Spaniard showing he was approaching his best form ahead of the grass court season. At the following changeover, Nadal was given a salt pill by a doctor and had his left forearm massaged by a trainer.
In a world bustling with ball-maulers yearning to topple euphorically onto Roland Garros clay or merely stand and raise the arms skyward in triumph just once in life, Rafael Nadal did so Sunday for a preposterous 11th time, even while choosing the standing option for only the second.
Either Federer or Nadal has captured each of the last six Grand Slam championships.
Some wishful anticipation had been made of the fact that, 30 days prior, Thiem had beaten Nadal on the clay of Madrid, but Thiem reminded everyone Friday that the clay of Madrid is not the clay of Paris.More news: Trump will not invite Warriors, Cavs to White House
Katherine Lam is a breaking and trending news digital producer for Fox News. Thiem stayed with Nadal in the early going on a steamy afternoon.
Nadal, however, turned the screw in the 10th game and Thiem seemed to grow nervous, sending a forehand long to hand his opponent the opening set.
Nadal had 12 unforced errors.
Still, Nadal was able to complete the job on court Philippe-Chatrier.More news: Andy Warhol Paintings Sold in Cryptocurrency, Auctioned Via Blockchain
- Fury comebacks ends in facile fourth round victory
- UK top court says it can't demand #abortion law change in #NorthernIreland
- Dead Or Alive 6 Announced, Due Early 2019
- Jennifer Lawrence Links Arms With New Beau Cooke Maroney During NYC Outing
- EA announces Federation Internationale de Football Association 19, contains UEFA Champions League
- Relay for Life at Larson Center
- "Kingdom Hearts III" Launches in the West on January 29, 2019
- Israeli army kills Palestinian in West Bank during raid
- #WorldOceansDay: Mediterranean could become a 'sea of plastic'
- Donald Trump: Top economies should drop all tariffs