Two breaks later Nadal was in a familiar position, serving for the title, and when another Thiem forehand dropped long, his arms were raised in celebration, yet again.
Nadal beat the Austrian 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 in a match the he dominated from the very start.More news: Trump's Midterm Gift To Dems: A War On Pre-Existing Condition Protections
Thirteen years and 17 Grand Slam titles along, with Nadal aged 32 years and one week, still, nobody has ever said anything any truer.
The number of Grand Slam finals now contested by Nadal, extending his position at second on the men's Open Era leaderboard, behind Federer (30) and ahead of Djokovic (21) and Lendl (19).
The No. 7-seeded Thiem, a 24-year-old from Austria, was appearing in a major final for the first time. But after, the Spaniard was imperious.More news: How to Customize What Gmail’s Swipe Gestures Do
After Thiem served, the trainer reappeared and massaged Nadal's forearm and wrist. Nadal, Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray - the so-called Big Four - have dominated the men's game to such a degree that Thiem is only the second player now younger than 28 to have reached a major singles final.
Although Thiem stood tall and broke Nadal early in the opening frame, he fell apart with a chance to knot things at five games apiece and ceded the set to Nadal at love. That led to 34 winners (eight more than Nadal), but also 42 unforced errors (18 more than Nadal).
Rafael Nadal has consolidated his lead in the French Open final by breaking Dominic Thiem in the Austrian's first service game of the second set. Key in that regard was his backhand, which consistently flustered Thiem, who didn't have the same bag of tricks at his disposal.More news: Trump turns tables on G7 allies with free trade `proclamation'
The trophy was carried into the Court Philippe Chatrier in a brown box during a brief ceremony before play begins and unveiled by the two stars of music and screen.
- Donald Trump: Top economies should drop all tariffs
- Israeli army kills Palestinian in West Bank during raid
- Anthony Bourdain hanged himself with a bathrobe belt
- Trump may pardon Muhammad Ali, but late boxer may not need it
- This new blood test can predict due date and premature birth
- Trump's top economic adviser accuses Trudeau of back-stabbing after G7 summit
- Fury comebacks ends in facile fourth round victory
- Rafael Nadal secures 11th French Open title
- UK top court says it can't demand #abortion law change in #NorthernIreland
- Bartenders at local restaurant to donate tips in honor of Anthony Bourdain