Aletta is the first hurricane in the eastern Pacific this season, which began formally on May 15 and will last until November 30.
Aletta, the first named storm of the season, rapidly intensified Thursday night, becoming not only a hurricane but a powerhouse Category 4 Friday morning. Tropical Storm Aletta was last clocked with 60 miles per hour sustained wind speeds.
Aletta becomes first hurricane of eastern Pacific season | Tri-City Herald
The Hurricane Center said the storm could generate swells that cause life-threatening surf and rip currents over the coming days. The hurricane is moving towards the west at a speed of 7 kilometers (5 miles) per hour, which will keep it well away from any land.
If it becomes a tropical storm, it will be named Bud.More news: Rafael Nadal Wins The French Open 2018
When Tropical Depression Three-E becomes a tropical storm, it will earn the name Bud. The NHC said it's too early to tell whether the second system will pose a threat to the Pacific coast next week. Zelinsky said there was no obvious reason for Aletta to stop gaining strength through Saturday, but he added that weather models indicate that the hurricane is likely to have reached its peak.
It's not unusual for the Eastern Pacific season's first storm to be a Category 4 hurricane.More news: Russian Airstrike Kills Dozens in Rebel-Held Village in Syria, Monitors Say
Mexico's National Water Commission (Conagua) is predicting 32 hurricanes for this season, four more than average, with 18 in the Pacific and 14 in the Atlantic. "It's happened 3 other times this decade, and a total of 9 times since 1970, per NOAA's database", he tweeted.More news: Rafael Nadal beats Dominic Thiem to win record 11th Roland Garros title
- Congo government says Jean Pierre Bemba has the right to return home
- White House adviser says Canada's Justin Trudeau 'stabbed us in the back'
- Trump eyes pardon for late boxing hero Muhammad Ali
- Series of "Stranger Things" books coming from Netflix, Penguin Random House
- IHOP to IHOB name change ‘dumbest’ move ever, brand experts warn
- "Kingdom Hearts III" Launches in the West on January 29, 2019
- Alaphilippe wins Criterium Stage 4, Moscon claims lead | AP sports
- How to Customize What Gmail’s Swipe Gestures Do
- Rafael Nadal secures 11th French Open title
- Another lottery ticket worth $500000 sold in Thunder Bay