"All are highly qualified and bring a vocation for public service and reflect the best of Spain", Sanchez told reporters on Wednesday. In the justice ministry will be prosecutor Dolores Delgado, a specialist in the fight against jihadism who will be tasked with handling the thorny issue of Catalan "political detainees".
The deputy prime minister is a woman, minister for equality Carmen Calvo, and Sanchez noted in his first speech as president that equal rights would be a priority for his government.
Most significantly, however, the cabinet, which includes 11 women and six men, is the country's first majority-female cabinet since the country returned to democracy after the 1975 death of dictator Francisco Franco.
Women represented 64.7 percent of the new Cabinet, above the 62.5 percent that the Finnish government scored in 2015 according to the statistics of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.More news: Bay Area Woman Gored By Bison At Yellowstone National Park
The Socialists launched the initiative to oust Rajoy following a court ruling last month in which 29 people, including former senior officials from the Popular Party, were sentenced to a total of 351 years in prison for corruption. Rajoy became the first sitting prime minister in Spain to give evidence in a trial when he was called as a witness in the case past year, prompting calls for him to resign.
To maintain "stability", Sanchez has also promised to implement the 2018 budget crafted by the previous conservative government.
They contrast with the eurosceptic stance of the populist government about to take office in Italy and the Brexit process in Britain.
Mr Borrell, a Catalan who is fiercely against the independence movement in his home region, will be tasked with defending his government's commitment to Spanish unity overseas.More news: Andy Murray takes home a Jaguar I-Pace
Apart from Ms Calvino's appointment as economy minister - a move welcomed by the EU Commission - Josep Borrell was European parliament president between 2004 and 2007.
Sanchez chose his cabinet from a variety of occupational backgrounds, including appointing a former astronaut as science minister.
He has said the previous conservative government was "very bad" when it came to public relations overseas on the Catalan separatist issue.
She will have the prickly task of trying to ease the situation in her own deeply divided home region.More news: Who Owns Hawaii's New Kapoho Peninsula Created by Kilauea's Lava?
- Afghan police killed in Taliban attack on base
- Manchester United’s Fred suffers injury in Brazil training
- Justice Department says heart of health law unconstitutional
- NASA Solves The Mystery Of Jupiter's Lightning
- Yahoo Messenger will shut down next month. Bye, Felicia
- New Zealand women make record ODI total against Ireland in Dublin
- F1 Raceweek: Hamilton seeks to match Schumacher - Canadian Grand Prix in numbers
- President Trump Signs Bill Expanding Private Care for Veterans
- Donald Trump says 'looking forward' to resolving trade disputes at G7
- Twin Mirror Announced For 2019, New Mystery Game From Vampyr Studio Dontnod