But the Queen was accompanied by the royal colonels, all on horseback: Prince of Wales, Colonel of the Welsh Guards, the Princess Royal, Colonel of the Blues and Royals, and the Duke of Cambridge, Colonel of the Irish Guards.
Waving to crowds alongside the Duchess of Cornwall, Kate looked radiant in a frock from one of her favourite designers, Alexander McQueen.
In an unexpected turn of events, the 7-year-old was seen dancing on the Buckingham Palace balcony and faux conducting the national anthem, as the royal family awaited the 1pm fly-over. The parade is held to mark the official birthday of the Sovereign.More news: Donald Trump says 'looking forward' to resolving trade disputes at G7
Thousands of spectators flocked to London for the annual spectacle, hoping to catch a glimpse of the glittering house of Windsor, jamming the royal parks near the parade grounds.
At 1pm, the royals gathered on the balcony for the RAF flypast featuring 23 modern and historic planes, Meghan taking centre stage.
This is the first time the royal family were joined by the new Duchess of Sussex.
Next week, Meghan Markle will be going it solo without Prince Harry for a royal appearance alongside Queen Elizabeth. Meghan has become particularly close to her father-in-law, who walked her down the aisle and was instrumental in helping Meghan and Harry with wedding planning.More news: Spain's first female dominated cabinet was sworn in today
The ceremony originated from traditional preparations for battle.
Queen Elizabeth II also selected a blue ensemble, choosing a dress and hat in a bolder blue than the shade chosen by Middleton and Parker-Bowles. "There's going to be a lot of eyes and I am going to have an influence on other people".
Harry and Meghan's first major tour as husband and wife will be in October as part of Harry's Commonwealth Youth Ambassador role.More news: Verizon names former Ericsson chief as new CEO
- Trump to skip G7 climate sessions following spat with Macron, Trudeau
- May Lets Johnson Off the Hook (Again) Over Criticism of Brexit Plan
- Jamie Dimon, Warren Buffett urge CEOs to end quarterly earnings forecasts
- Tiger Woods moors $20m yacht 'Privacy' in marina ahead of US Open
- Justice Department says heart of health law unconstitutional
- PM's statement prior to his departure to Qingdao in China
- French Open final: Halep vs. Stephens predictions, start time and betting odds
- Chris Bosh believes former teammate LeBron James could join the Rockets
- Argentina's Lanzini ruled out of World Cup
- Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61