A senior Israeli military official said Thursday that only "30 to 40" of the at least 125 Palestinians who died from Israeli fire along the Gaza border in recent weeks were killed on objective, with these being identified by the IDF as terrorists with hostile intentions.
Gaza health officials and witnesses said Israeli forces shot dead 21-year-old Razan al-Najar, a volunteer medic, as she ran toward the border fence, east of the south Gaza town of Khan Younis, in a bid to reach a casualty last Friday.
"The soldier responded by firing at the Palestinian, who was wounded and given medical treatment at the scene", it said.
Since the near-weekly protests began on March 30, more than 120 Palestinians have been killed and over 3,800 wounded by Israeli army fire.More news: Xi, Putin meet as United States tensions brings them closer
Clashes erupted after Israeli troops stormed a number of houses there.
"We want to remind the world that the Israeli occupation is committing the same massacres that the Nazis committed", said activist Ahmed Abu Artima.
Israeli war planes threw flyers over Gaza city on Thursday afternoon, warning the people there not to join Friday's protests and rallies in eastern Gaza Strip.
For this reason the sniper positions along the border have been elevated in recent weeks to allow the snipers to shoot over the fence more easily, the officer disclosed.More news: Justice Department says heart of health law unconstitutional
Palestinians said she repeatedly told the soldiers to leave her land, which is considered occupied under global law. The Hamas-led demonstrations have been fueled by despair over a decade-old Israel-Egyptian blockade, imposed after the Islamic militant group seized control of the territory. The marchers have also pressed demands for a "right of return" for descendants of Palestinian refugees to ancestral homes in what is now Israel.
Israel accuses Hamas of using demonstrators as human shields while trying to carry out attacks and says it is defending its sovereign border.
Iran does not recognize Israel and supports anti-Israeli militant groups such as Hamas, which rules Gaza, and Lebanon's Hezbollah.
Israel captured east Jerusalem in the 1967 Mideast war and annexed it to its capital, a move not recognized by most of the worldwide community.More news: 3 takeaways from Game 3 vs. Warriors
- Twin Mirror Announced For 2019, New Mystery Game From Vampyr Studio Dontnod
- Argentina's Lanzini ruled out of World Cup
- Commerce Secretary: US reaches deal with China’s ZTE
- Ruthless Rafael Nadal crushes Del Potro to reach final
- Trump supports ending marijuana ban, setting up friction with Sessions
- Andy Murray takes home a Jaguar I-Pace
- Bay Area Woman Gored By Bison At Yellowstone National Park
- Microsoft Discounts Xbox One X For E3 2018 Week
- New Zealand women make record ODI total against Ireland in Dublin
- French Open final: Halep vs. Stephens predictions, start time and betting odds