The Center for Disease Control says at least 60 people have gotten sick, including six in IL. Some people could end up with severe diarrhea that requires a hospital trip.
The products were packaged in clear, plastic clamshell containers and distributed in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio. Walmart stores in IL have removed pre-cut melons linked to this outbreak from their shelves. "The CDC is not recommending people avoid whole melons", the state said in a press release. The CDC said it is working to identify a common supplier that might be the original source.More news: Kate Spade's Sales Have Increased By 600% Following Her Death
The CDC says it's linked back to pre-chopped melons sold at Walmart stores and said the fruit salad at Walmart stores should also be tossed. Thirty-two of those cases were in MI.
Illnesses were reported from April 30 to May 28, and the people affected range in age from younger than 1 year old to 97 years old.More news: NBA Finals: Down 0-2, Cavs Need More LBJ, Less Distribution!
Salmonella can develop 12 to 72 hours after eating the contaminated food and usually lasts four to seven days. If you have recently purchased pre-cut melon from Walmart, throw it out.
Most people who have been infected with this strain of salmonella bought pre-cut melon at Walmart or Kroger stores, according to the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development. In rare cases, an infection can lead to death unless a patient receives prompt treatment with antibiotics. Individuals who believe they may have become ill with Salmonella should contact their health care provider. The list of states and stores could expand depending on the investigation.More news: Alice Marie Johnson Celebrates After Prison Release: ‘I Love You, President Trump’
More information and steps to take to reduce the risk of infection can be found on the CDC Salmonella website at www.cdc.gov/salmonella/.
- Shizuka Matsuki: Alligator likely killed woman, Florida officials say
- Whittaker Makes the Mark; Romero Does Not
- Golden State Warriors beat Cleveland Cavaliers to win title
- England's Adam Lallana to bounce back from World Cup disappointment
- Barletta, Casey on separate sides in Trump, Eagles feud
- Porsche Gives Taycan Name To Road-Going Mission E Concept
- China Hacked U.S. Navy Contractor To Obtain Sub Secrets
- Harry Kane signs new Tottenham deal until 2024
- Just Cause 4 Confirmed Before Official E3 2018 Reveal
- Hilary Duff, LI's Matthew Koma expecting a baby