The Center for Disease Control says at least 60 people have gotten sick, including six in IL. Some people could end up with severe diarrhea that requires a hospital trip.
The products were packaged in clear, plastic clamshell containers and distributed in Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio. Walmart stores in IL have removed pre-cut melons linked to this outbreak from their shelves. "The CDC is not recommending people avoid whole melons", the state said in a press release. The CDC said it is working to identify a common supplier that might be the original source.More news: Hilary Duff, LI's Matthew Koma expecting a baby
The CDC says it's linked back to pre-chopped melons sold at Walmart stores and said the fruit salad at Walmart stores should also be tossed. Thirty-two of those cases were in MI.
Illnesses were reported from April 30 to May 28, and the people affected range in age from younger than 1 year old to 97 years old.More news: Whittaker Makes the Mark; Romero Does Not
Salmonella can develop 12 to 72 hours after eating the contaminated food and usually lasts four to seven days. If you have recently purchased pre-cut melon from Walmart, throw it out.
Most people who have been infected with this strain of salmonella bought pre-cut melon at Walmart or Kroger stores, according to the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development. In rare cases, an infection can lead to death unless a patient receives prompt treatment with antibiotics. Individuals who believe they may have become ill with Salmonella should contact their health care provider. The list of states and stores could expand depending on the investigation.More news: Basketball: trump says no invite for nba champion to white house
More information and steps to take to reduce the risk of infection can be found on the CDC Salmonella website at www.cdc.gov/salmonella/.
- Barletta, Casey on separate sides in Trump, Eagles feud
- Ontario votes, as populist Doug Ford leads in opinion polls
- We should consider scraping all tariffs
- Harry Kane signs new Tottenham deal until 2024
- Golden State Warriors beat Cleveland Cavaliers to win title
- NBA Finals: Down 0-2, Cavs Need More LBJ, Less Distribution!
- Porsche Gives Taycan Name To Road-Going Mission E Concept
- Nadal beats del Potro to reach 11th French final
- Glenn Beck reflects on Anthony Bourdain loss, America's search for answers
- Alice Marie Johnson Celebrates After Prison Release: ‘I Love You, President Trump’