Lanzini has scored one goal in his four caps for Argentina and worked his way into Sampaoli's starting XI in World Cup qualifying.
West Ham have been linked with a number of midfielders in the transfer market, including Manchester City veteran Yaya Toure, and Lanzini's injury could intensify the pursuit for signings in this area.More news: Microsoft Discounts Xbox One X For E3 2018 Week
Argentina have been training in Barcelona, home to forward Lionel Messi, before travelling to Russian Federation.
Argentina have yet to announce a replacement for Lanzini.
Argentina will play their opening fixture against Iceland on June 16.
Lanzini will likely rehab back in London with the West Ham medical staff.More news: NASA Solves The Mystery Of Jupiter's Lightning
They will now have to deal with a new player being drafted in after Lanzini's serious injury.
Many believed that Inter Milan striker Mauro Icardi, who netted 29 goals in Serie A last campaign was a better choice than Lanzini who could only manage five strikes for the Hammers.More news: EFL unaffected as Premier League brings in winter break
- President Trump Signs Bill Expanding Private Care for Veterans
- Andy Murray takes home a Jaguar I-Pace
- Donald Trump says 'looking forward' to resolving trade disputes at G7
- Yahoo Messenger will shut down next month. Bye, Felicia
- Who Owns Hawaii's New Kapoho Peninsula Created by Kilauea's Lava?
- Xi, Putin meet as United States tensions brings them closer
- These are the top 10 highest paid sports stars in the world
- French Open final: Halep vs. Stephens predictions, start time and betting odds
- Trump says he's considering pardon for Muhammad Ali
- Zinedine Zidane's Successor At Real Madrid Revealed?