"We will no longer judge our candidates on their outward physical appearance", she said.
The former evening gown competition will now give participants "the freedom to outwardly express their self-confidence in evening attire of their choosing while discussing how they will advance their social impact initiatives".
But it has run into resistance to the swimsuit, and to a lesser extent, evening gown competitions, that had come by some to be seen as outdated. Vincent-Tripp, an assistant attorney general at the Florida Office of the Attorney General, was Miss America 1991.
"So guess what, you don't have to do that anymore", she said.More news: Hugh Dane, Comedian in The Office and Bridesmaids, Dies at 75
The Miss America victor in 1993, Leanza Cornett, said at the time that the swimsuits should be scrapped. Carlson told ABC. "That's what we're judging them on now". Miss America was crowned but a runner-up received the top swimsuit trophy.
The 87-year-old Waring, who still owns the one-piece, black-and-white-striped bathing suit she wore in 1948, says the suits worn by contestants these days are "skimpy" and "undignified", and she's heard from many young women who didn't want to wear them.
In this August 30, 2017, photo, contestants attend a welcoming ceremony for the Miss America competition on the Atlantic City, N.J., boardwalk.
In another first, all three leaders are former pageant winners in the Miss America system.More news: Apple wants to replace your tape measures with an iPhone
Miss America's 2019 competition will take place in Atlantic City, New Jersey, on 9 September.
Carlson said she is not anxious ratings for the nationally televised broadcast might suffer because of the elimination of swimsuits.
Miss America, America's favorite shitshow of a competition, has decided to make a radical change. "The swimsuit competition has been controversial since the early 1920s, but it's been retained because the majority of the people like it".
"I never thought I'd be the chairwoman of the Miss America Organisation, but here I am and we're moving it forward and we're evolving in this cultural revolution".
Recently, Carlson has been an advocate for victims of sexual harassment and a champion of the #MeToo movement.More news: Stephen Curry sets new record as Golden State beat Cleveland
- Xbox One X gets its first ever official sale
- SNL’s Pete Davidson gets two Ariana Grande-inspired tattoos
- Yaya Toure's Agent Predicts 'African Curse' for Pep Guardiola at Manchester City
- Arsenal and Chelsea make approaches to sign FC Barcelona star
- Intel announces 28-Core CPU and 5GHz Core i7-8086K at Computex
- Red Devils reach agreement to sign Brazil midfielder Fred
- Bumblebee trailer: This Transformers spinoff film looks promising
- Google is planning to start bumping users over to the new Gmail
- Koch brothers at odds with Trump’s trade tactics
- Medical marijuana can be sold in Wickliffe, Painesville Township