Officials said the suspect was 53 years old, but did not identify him.
Police later said that they had shot at a man "rampaging" in the church, and that he had been injured in the leg.More news: "Solo" Box Office Performance Has Disney Re-Thinking Their "Star Wars" Strategy
Wenzel said the incident began when the man entered the cathedral, known locally as Berliner Dom, and waved a knife in the area of the altar. At the time, there were around 100 people there.
Two officers responded to the call and asked the suspect repeatedly to put down the knife, to no avail, police said.
"He was injured in the legs. There are no grounds to assume that the incident had a terror or an Islamist motive", the police wrote on Twitter.More news: Off-duty Federal Bureau of Investigation agent does backflip and accidentally shoots up dancefloor in Denver
According to local press reports, the man was running through the cathedral, waving a knife, being "verbally aggressive" and causing widespread panic among visitors.
Police officers stay in front of the Berlin Cathedral in Berlin, Germany, Sunday, June 3, 2018.
He was being held under arrest in a hospital last night where his wounds were being treated.More news: Preet Bharara says Trump self-pardoning would be 'almost self-executing impeachment'
- Trump Receives North Korean Envoy in Historic White House Visit
- New Renders Show off This Year’s Mid-Range 6.1-inch iPhone
- Liverpool icon Dalglish urges fans: Don't boo Coutinho on Anfield return
- Is Fallout 76 Written by the New Vegas Writer?
- Alleged IS supporter encouraged terrorists to target 4-year-old Prince George
- Trudeau says USA steel, tariffs on national security grounds are insulting
- Petrobras CEO resigns after Brazil truckers' strike
- Free Playstation Plus Games for June 2018
- Five die in U.S. lettuce E. coli outbreak
- Man with knife, officer wounded in Berlin cathedral shooting