Officials said the suspect was 53 years old, but did not identify him.
Police later said that they had shot at a man "rampaging" in the church, and that he had been injured in the leg.More news: Pakistan vs England, 2nd Test, Day-3
Wenzel said the incident began when the man entered the cathedral, known locally as Berliner Dom, and waved a knife in the area of the altar. At the time, there were around 100 people there.
Two officers responded to the call and asked the suspect repeatedly to put down the knife, to no avail, police said.
"He was injured in the legs. There are no grounds to assume that the incident had a terror or an Islamist motive", the police wrote on Twitter.More news: Neymar scores brilliant goal on comeback from injury with Brazil
According to local press reports, the man was running through the cathedral, waving a knife, being "verbally aggressive" and causing widespread panic among visitors.
Police officers stay in front of the Berlin Cathedral in Berlin, Germany, Sunday, June 3, 2018.
He was being held under arrest in a hospital last night where his wounds were being treated.More news: Microsoft has talked with GitHub about possible acquisition
- Five die in U.S. lettuce E. coli outbreak
- New blood test could detect cancers before they develop
- Tiger Woods sinks 14-foot putt at PGA Memorial Tournament
- Trump Receives North Korean Envoy in Historic White House Visit
- Free Playstation Plus Games for June 2018
- Roseanne Spinoff Reportedly In Works
- Warner Bros. Drops Visual Clue to Wonder Woman 2 Setting
- Petrobras CEO resigns after Brazil truckers' strike
- Man with knife, officer wounded in Berlin cathedral shooting
- Preet Bharara says Trump self-pardoning would be 'almost self-executing impeachment'