Mayor Don Scott said earlier this week that he hoped the plan would get the pipeline built, but regretted the federal and Alberta government felt this was the best way to move forward. Work to expand the project will now resume, while Kinder Morgan will help the federal government to try to find a new buyer for the pipeline.
Construction on the 590,000-barrel-per-day expansion to the existing 300,000-bpd line, halted by Kinder Morgan in April, is to be restarted immediately in the wake of Tuesday's announcement of Ottawa's $4.5-billion purchase.
Kinder Morgan is walking away from a major energy project here in Canada.
Environmental activists, First Nations groups and people waving Canadian flags and carrying inflatable orcas gathered downtown before a planned march to Centennial Square at roughly 6 p.m.
"I am very confident there will be a number of investors interested in taking over this project", he said.More news: Man dies after baseball game hit-and-run, woman charged with manslaughter
If the government had reinforced federal authority for pipelines through the courts and in legislation as soon as B.C. NDP Leader John Horgan became premier a year ago, Scheer said that would have prevented Horgan from introducing the uncertainty that ultimately led to Kinder Morgan's nervousness that the project would never come to fruition.
"We're not seeking to make a profit. We're seeking to ensure the project gets done, but we will always try and make sure the project presents a fair situation for Canadians".
It's not. Four pipelines were built under the previous government without spending one cent of taxpayers' money.
The Federal Government stepping in to save a controversial energy project is not without precedent, notably when Brian Mulroney's Conservative government forged ahead with the Hibernia oil field off the coast of Newfoundland despite heavy opposition.
"There are no bad pipelines from our perspective", Quintal said.More news: Portugal play goalless with Belgium in World Cup friendly
This loss of confidence is certainly not from the federal government's lack of effort.
The two companies have declined comment on the issue.
Energy East, which would have converted a natural gas pipeline to oil and extended it all the way to New Brunswick, was cancelled last fall when TransCanada decided conditions had changed, including new federal regulations and lower oil prices. Thus far the government has only said it will respect the democratic right to protest.
"This is the mischief we are here to address", Killoran said, adding protest organizers are committed to stopping Trans Mountain trucks from entering construction sites and aim to blockade other locations where the company might store equipment or have contractors working on the project.
"The upside is that things get done sooner", he said.More news: Harvey Weinstein Arrested in New York, Rose McGowan and Others Respond
- 2nd Test: Pakistan's Shadab Khan Plays Down Comparison With Steve Smith
- All you need to know about Google’s new app ‘Neighbourly’
- US Says it Will Veto 'Morally Bankrupt' UN Resolution Against Israel
- Some US companies say Trump's tariffs are already hurting their business
- Pluto's dunes made of frozen methane
- Eagles defy rain to train at Wembley, Ndidi back in full training
- Schematics and Renders Show Off Apple’s 2018 iPhone Lineup
- Halep recovers from first set woe to make French Open second round
- Trudeau calls U.S. viewing Canada as national security threat 'simply ridiculous'
- Serena: Sharapova 'probably a favorite' ahead of Paris clash