Amnesty International has called the situation in Gaza "another horrific example of the Israeli military using excessive force and live ammunition in a totally deplorable way".
Palestinians inspect an Islamic Jihad observation post after it was targeted in Israeli tank shelling, in the southern Gaza Strip May 27, 2018.
Palestinian media had earlier reported the air strikes, which reports said lit up the sky in the city of Rafah that abuts Gaza's southern border with Egypt.More news: China rebukes US for withdrawing invitation to naval drills
The IDF confirmed the attack on its Twitter, saying the targets were hit in response to the "incident that took place earlier today, in which suspects infiltrated Israel & attempted to damage security infrastructure". "The Hamas terror organization is exclusively responsible for what is happening in and out of the Gaza Strip, and it will bear the consequences for the terrorist acts being carried out from Gaza against the citizens and sovereignty of Israel", it added.
The infiltration came just hours after Palestinians threw an explosive device at IDF soldiers during a protest on the border.
The bombing was a response to an explosive device placed on Saturday near the border fence between Gaza and Israel, according to the army. "Returning to the lands of Palestine", he added in a separate tweet.More news: Golden State Warriors beat Houston Rockets, force Game 7
No Israelis have been killed during that time.
At least 110 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since the protests started on March 30 and thousands more were injured.
Islamic Jihad operates with a measure of independence from Hamas, the Islamist group that has controlled Gaza since 2007 and fought three wars against Israel.More news: U.S. delegation travels to North Korea for potential summit preparation
- Warriors Storm Back At Home To Force Game 7
- Mueller probe: Faith in Justice Department weakens
- [H]ardOCP: Rumor: Sony Could Be Considering a PlayStation Classic
- LeBron James’ 46-point game stuns Boston, forces game seven
- Ricciardo on Monaco pole after record lap
- Steelers' Artie Burns Trashes New NFL National Anthem Policy, Calls It 'Bullying'
- Liverpool to refund cup final tickets for fans with cancelled flights
- Oil Prices Dip On Potential Increase In Russian Output
- NBA James Harden Dismisses Shooting Woes vs. Warriors 8 hours ago 567
- New Moto G6 Plus Model With More Powerful Chip Leaks