Fiat Chrysler noted that at times cruise control systems automatically initiate acceleration to help vehicles maintain driver-selected speeds, including when going up an incline. Regardless of which option is used, cruise control will be cancelled once the auto is put in park.
The Italian-American automaker said no injuries or crashes are related to the large recall campaign but said it had one report of a driver of a 2017 Dodge Journey unable to deactivate the cruise control.
It was separately fined $70 million by US regulators in 2015 for failing to report vehicle crash deaths and injuries since 2003.
It warned owners, including those outside the United States, not to use the function until they get software upgrades.More news: Kilauea Lava Continues March to Ocean
The firm said an "unlikely sequence of events" could lead to drivers being unable to cancel cruise control.
Drivers could override the cruise control in case of a failure either by braking or switching the vehicle into neutral.
The company's USA shares extended their decline in early trading, falling as much as 3.9 percent, and were down 2.5 percent as of 9:25 a.m.in NY.
The recall includes 15 Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler and Ram models from six model years with gasoline engines and automatic transmissions. Also covered are the 2015-2017 Chrysler 200, the 2014-2018 Chrysler 300, the 2017 and 2018 Chrysler Pacifica minivan.More news: Chris Paul Injury: Rockets Guard Ruled Out For Game 6 Against Warriors
The owner, who was not identified in the agency's complaint database, wrote that the cruise control would not disengage by tapping the brakes or turning off the button. The only way to stop at that point would be to brake to a full stop. Models in other countries also are affected.
Fiat Chrysler was under fire in 2015, when US regulators issued it $175 million in penalties because of safety lapses. The company is urging customers to follow the recall instructions and get the repairs done as soon as possible.
Fiat Chrysler will begin notifying customers as early as next week.
Fiat Chrysler recall: Are you at risk?More news: Why you'll pay a lot more for gas this Memorial Day weekend
- Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kolkata Knight Riders Score T20 Match Today
- Incognito threw weights before hospitalization
- Visa cuts off Morgan Freeman commercials after harassment report
- Nipah virus toll in Indian state rises to 11
- Subtropical Storm Alberto Heads Toward Gulf Coast
- Karius doesn’t think Salah is as good as Ronaldo
- Science and commercial satellites launched from California
- Polish author Olga Tokarczuk wins 2018 Man Booker International Prize
- People have spotted a "huge" mistake in Harry and Meghan’s wedding photos
- Celtics upend Cavaliers, now within win of NBA Finals