The bus had about 50 students from high school East brook in Paramus when it crashed at mount olive, about 40 miles West of the school.
The bus was reported to be carrying fifth-grade students from East Brook Middle School in Paramus for a field trip to Waterloo Village.
Route 80 is closed westbound at exit 26.
"People who I'm close friends with, who have brothers and sisters on that bus, started crying, and everybody just started sympathizing", Garcia said.
New Jersey school bus crash kills two, leaves 43 injured
A request for medical choppers had to be cancelled because of the weather.
At the scene, the school bus appeared to be separated from its undercarriage, northjersey.com reported.
The news of the deadly bus crash caused a chaotic scene inside the school as frantic parents rushed in to pick up their children.
Photos obtained by News 4 show the heavily damaged bus on its side in the median, surrounded by dozens of emergency and law enforcement vehicles.More news: Attorney Aaron Schlossberg in Viral Video has History of Verbally Harassing People
Two other buses in the field trip convoy also carrying fifth-graders on the same trip returned to Paramus, officials said.
"It's like nothing you've ever seen before", he said. It's a popular spot for school trips. "Our thoughts and prayers continue to go out to them as they recover", Bergen County Executive Jim Tedesco said. The children were wearing seat belts, police said.
Mendez Trucking has 33 drivers and 33 trucks, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Its trucks had been in seven crashes, none fatal, during the last two years before Thursday's crash, the FMCSA says.
Company officials were not immediately available for comment. The National Transportation Safety Board, which investigates accidents involving buses, was gathering information but was not investigating the collision, it said on Twitter. Messages left with the company weren't returned.More news: Meghan's Markle's father to undergo heart surgery
A Mendez-owned dump truck driven by a driver police say had a suspended license struck and killed a French fashion stylist in Manhattan in January 2011, according to court records.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 118 people on school buses were killed in crashes from 2007-2016, the past year for which data is available.More news: Explosive eruption at Hawaii volcano
- Michael Avenatti is a more shameful, losing version of Jose Baez: Kennedy
- Cardi B and Offset Sued by Fan Who Was Attacked by Bodyguards
- Ebola outbreak in Congo spreads to urban area
- Liam Payne Reveals September Album Release Date, Hints at One Direction Reunion
- Deadpool 2: The merc with the mouth returns
- Hamas turns away supplies from Israel, including bandages, IV fluids and fuel
- Kim Kardashian Stirs Debate After Sharing Picture of Her Children's Bath Time
- Boost for Modi as BJP wins state election outside heartland
- BSF personnel martyred in Pak firing along International Border in Jammu
- Became known to new salary of Paulo Fonseca at Shakhtar