As seen in the tweet below from the Twitter account known as Fortnite: Battle Royale Leaks, a recent datamine of the game's Update 4.2 files seems to have made a reference in the patch's code to a Limited Time Mode known as Close Encounters, which will feature "close-quarters combat with Shotguns and Jetpacks". They feel that a competitive mode is in the pipeline over at Epic Games.
Your first 50 matches in the Solo Showdown LTM will be counted towards your Score. Up to and including 50th will receive 13,500 V-Bucks. Once the limited time mode ends, the top 100 players will receive a prize.More news: Future of Northampton Mothercare uncertain as store closures announced
The Solo Showdown mode will be playable through 7am PDT / 10 am EDT / 3 pm BST on Monday, May 21st.
For the competitor to get 1st place, 50,000 V-Bucks awaits.More news: Trump, still planning summit, reassures and warns Kim Jong Un
Whatever the case may be, Solo Showdown can become a basis for professional matches in the future, if ever Epic is serious about its esports aspirations for Fortnite. Instead, it's basically a competitive mode: you'll play against "other self-selected competitors" and be placed on a leaderboard that ranks players based on their performance in their first 50 games. That's right, the players who top the leaderboards by the end of the event will get a share of a big prize pot.
The players who have competed in 50 matches will unlock a unique spray.More news: Injured Payet, Lacazette excluded from France squad
The developers say that Solo Showdown is "a one-off stepping stone to learn how to build great events for all types of players", and are promising, "a major announcement about competitive play next week". Rather than changing up the way you play the game with new additions, like Thanos, or different squad sizes, like the 50v50 mode, the latest way to play Fortnite changes the rules by not changing the rules, rather by changing the rewards offered.
- Dow drops almost 200 points
- Total CEO says oil price could hit US$100 'in coming months'
- Astronomers have found the oldest oxygen in the Universe
- Liverpool Fans Livid with Club's Plans For Champions League Trophy Parade
- 'I hear covfefe': President Trump weighs in on 'yanny' and 'laurel'
- Davinson Sanchez signs improved contract at Tottenham
- PayPal agrees to buy iZettle for Dollars 2.2 bn
- Guardiola signs two-year contract extension at Manchester City
- Senate votes to save net neutrality rules
- YouTube to launch a premium music service