A total of 4 civilians were injured in the overnight firing as mortars were hurled from the Pakistan side at villages in the border area which prompted India to retaliate.
The deceased constable has been identified as Sita Ram Upadhyay of the 192 battalion.
Sources said that constable Sitaram Upadhya posted at the Jabowal border outpost was injured and was shifted to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
The BSF trooper was injured at the Regal Post.More news: Verstappen fastest on 1st day of mid-season F1 tests
Just a day before the scheduled visit by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Jammu & Kashmir, a BSF constable and a couple were among three people killed, as Pakistani Rangers continued targeting forward Indian posts and civilian areas with mortar shells and small arms fire along the worldwide border on Friday.
According to border residents in the area Pakistan rangers used 82 mm mortars and LMG fire to target the civilian areas.
In the exchanges, a BSF jawan suffered injuries and has been hospitalised. He hailed from Giridih, Jharkhand. He is survived by a three-year-old son and a one-year-old daughter, officials said.
A BSF constable was killed after Pakistan Rangers targeted along the International Border (IB) in Jammu's RSPura sector on Thursday night.More news: Facebook's Zuckerberg to appear at European Parliament: speaker
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to reach Jammu and Kashmir tomorrow as part of an official visit to the state.
Pakistan Rangers shelled areas in R S Pura, Bishnah and Arnia sectors of Jammu by resorting to heavy mortar shelling and firing since 1:00 am in R S Pura, Bishnah sectors, a senior BSF officer told PTI. "There was no firing and shelling from across the border since yesterday in Kathua and Samba districts", the officer said. He said three civilians have been injured in Arnia sector and two in R.S. Pura sector.
It was followed by another infiltration bid in Samba sector but the same was foiled by the BSF jawans.
The schools in the radius of 3-km from the border have also been ordered by the Sub-District Magistrate to remain closed on Friday in view of shelling.More news: Attorney Aaron Schlossberg in Viral Video has History of Verbally Harassing People
- The Crew 2 - Welcome to Motornation trailer
- Liam Payne Reveals September Album Release Date, Hints at One Direction Reunion
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Details Have Been Released
- Meghan's Markle's father to undergo heart surgery
- As criticism for Israel mounts, Guatemala opens its embassy in Jerusalem
- Hamas turns away supplies from Israel, including bandages, IV fluids and fuel
- Cardi B and Offset Sued by Fan Who Was Attacked by Bodyguards
- A gripping documentary series about Adnan Syed's infamous case is being made
- Boost for Modi as BJP wins state election outside heartland
- Reuben Foster's ex falsely accused another man of domestic violence in 2011