A total of 4 civilians were injured in the overnight firing as mortars were hurled from the Pakistan side at villages in the border area which prompted India to retaliate.
The deceased constable has been identified as Sita Ram Upadhyay of the 192 battalion.
Sources said that constable Sitaram Upadhya posted at the Jabowal border outpost was injured and was shifted to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
The BSF trooper was injured at the Regal Post.More news: Riz Ahmed to co-write the screenplay for Ms Marvel
Just a day before the scheduled visit by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to Jammu & Kashmir, a BSF constable and a couple were among three people killed, as Pakistani Rangers continued targeting forward Indian posts and civilian areas with mortar shells and small arms fire along the worldwide border on Friday.
According to border residents in the area Pakistan rangers used 82 mm mortars and LMG fire to target the civilian areas.
In the exchanges, a BSF jawan suffered injuries and has been hospitalised. He hailed from Giridih, Jharkhand. He is survived by a three-year-old son and a one-year-old daughter, officials said.
A BSF constable was killed after Pakistan Rangers targeted along the International Border (IB) in Jammu's RSPura sector on Thursday night.More news: Rihanna's response to whether she'll be at the royal wedding is hilarious
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to reach Jammu and Kashmir tomorrow as part of an official visit to the state.
Pakistan Rangers shelled areas in R S Pura, Bishnah and Arnia sectors of Jammu by resorting to heavy mortar shelling and firing since 1:00 am in R S Pura, Bishnah sectors, a senior BSF officer told PTI. "There was no firing and shelling from across the border since yesterday in Kathua and Samba districts", the officer said. He said three civilians have been injured in Arnia sector and two in R.S. Pura sector.
It was followed by another infiltration bid in Samba sector but the same was foiled by the BSF jawans.
The schools in the radius of 3-km from the border have also been ordered by the Sub-District Magistrate to remain closed on Friday in view of shelling.More news: 'Murphy Brown' Revival To Take On Cable Morning Show Wars: More Details
- Sonam Kapoor's Husband add wife's name in his surname
- No Man's Sky is coming to Xbox One in July with multiplayer
- Varanasi flyover collapse: Prime Minister, VP condole deaths
- Meghan's Markle's father to undergo heart surgery
- Verstappen fastest on 1st day of mid-season F1 tests
- EPA watchdog says Pruitt sought 24/7 protection from start
- Cardi B and Offset Sued by Fan Who Was Attacked by Bodyguards
- U.S. senate passes the bill in bid to retain net neutrality
- Boost for Modi as BJP wins state election outside heartland
- A gripping documentary series about Adnan Syed's infamous case is being made