The Russian president said: "Given the victories and successes of the Syrian army in the war on terror, in light of the onset of a more active period, and in light of the fact that a more active political process has begun, foreign armed forces will start leaving Syrian territory".
Putin, Assad hail achievements in Syria
Critics of Russia's action, among them the United States and European states, say it is propping up an Assad leadership that has lost its legitimacy, and that its air strikes have killed large numbers of civilians.
Putin told Assad that in the light of success of the Syrian army foreign forces should be withdrawn from the war-torn country.
"The next task, of course, is the economic recovery and humanitarian aid for those people in a hard situation", Putin added.More news: Rihanna's response to whether she'll be at the royal wedding is hilarious
The latest round of Syria peace talks in the Kazakh capital Astana wrapped up on May 15, but did not however make any concrete progress towards ending the seven-year conflict that has cost 350,000 lives.
The U.S., meanwhile, has backed rebels and Kurdish forces that oppose Assad's rule.
"Russian Federation welcomes this decision by the Syrian president and will be supporting it in every way, given the agreements reached during the Congress of the Syrian people held in Sochi several months ago", Putin said.More news: Christine Lampard opens up about her pregnancy
It said the two also discussed economic cooperation and growing investments by Russian companies in Syria.More news: Hamas turns away supplies from Israel, including bandages, IV fluids and fuel
- Capitals' Backstrom Returns, Expects to Be Back to Normal Soon
- Deadpool 2: The merc with the mouth returns
- Verstappen fastest on 1st day of mid-season F1 tests
- Meghan's Markle's father to undergo heart surgery
- 'Infinity War' breaks box office record in Vietnam
- New Jersey school bus crash kills two, leaves 43 injured
- BSF personnel martyred in Pak firing along International Border in Jammu
- Salah's boots score at British Museum
- Cambridge Analytica files for bankruptcy in the USA after Facebook privacy row
- Sonam Kapoor's Husband add wife's name in his surname