So what exactly is going on?
People hear different sounds in different pitches, which is why the internet can not decide which word the recording is saying.
Since the clip went viral, the students responsible have solved the mystery - and the winners, it seems, are the "Laurel" team.
"When I analyzed the recording of Laurel, that third resonance is very high for the L. It drops for the R and then it rises again for the L", he said.
The internet exploded in argument this week as people debated which of those words a robot was saying in this recording, which originated on Reddit and was posted on Twitter by YouTube vlogger Chloe Feldman.More news: Exodus Delayed Until Q1 of 2019
Especially if they heard the word played at either a slower speed or a faster speed.
Rosevere says different frequencies bring out different sounds of the word.
It's a sound you'll probably start to hear in your nightmares after hearing it just once.
Dr. Ferenc Bunta, a communication sciences professor at the University of Houston, said the difference is if you're hearing the audio or listening to it.
It's the latest flash in the social media pan; the 2018 equivalent of the gold or blue dress.More news: Muslims to commence Ramadan fasting on Thursday - Sultan
The visual prompt asking "Laurel or Yanny" would also prompt the listener to hear the word in a certain way.
"It just depends on the audio and the equipment that you're using", he said.
But Cavanaugh still says no matter what you hear, you're not wrong or right if you hear one over the other. Things got so confusing that they had to change their address out of Mt. Laurel, New Jersey.
Do your speakers have anything to do with what you hear?
Also, he said the clip illustrates that our brains decide what it wants to hear if there is an ambiguous signal like this one.More news: Standalone 'Star Wars' film about Lando Calrissian in the works
Marino said, "I think maybe it creates something our brains aren't used to and so we interpret it differently".
- VK Singh holds talks in North Korea, first trip in 20 years
- Ryan Reynolds Meets Kakao Character Ryan For An Interview
- Prison where Josh Holt is being held captive reportedly under attack
- Ecstatic Simeone urges final hero Griezmann to stay
- Golden Knights needed top prove to themselves they could compete with Jets
- Allan McGregor rejoins Rangers on two-year deal
- Sensex zooms 260 points as BJP takes the lead in Karnataka
- Parcel bomb suspected in deadly California day spa explosion
- Dad of 10 charged with domestic violence in 2011
- The Markle Debacle Continues: Half-Sister Samantha Has Been Hospitalised