There have been several reports of vape-pens exploding in the past, but this is believed to be the first death caused by one in the US.
The television producer's death has been ruled an accident.More news: China Trade War: Two Nations to Hold Key Trade Talks This Week
The explosions usually occur suddenly, the report found, "and are accompanied by loud noise, a flash of light, smoke, flames, and often vigorous ejection of the battery and other parts".
Deputy fire marshal Steven Lawrence, who attended the scene, said vape pens can "become pieces of flying debris and shrapnel".
Furthermore, following the incident, authorities found his body inside the home that was on fire, which suffered about 80% of thermal injuries to his chest, shoulder, abdomen, back and arm and hand. Since most e-cigarettes use lithium batteries, there is commonly known high risks associated with improper use of the electronics.More news: The Markle Debacle Continues: Half-Sister Samantha Has Been Hospitalised
A spokesperson for Smok-E Mountain told ABC affiliate WFTS that the problem had to do with the atomizer (the top piece you put in your mouth) or the battery. This incident marks the first confirmed case in which an e-cigarette explosion resulted in a fatality.
The FDA, which shares tips to avoid such explosions, notes "the exact causes of such incidents are not yet clear", though some evidence points to "battery-related issues". He suffered third-degree burns. "That's typically the biggest issue which causes batteries to fail", he said.
Never carry e-cig batteries loose in your pocket, especially where they might come into contact with coins, keys or other metal objects which can cause the battery to short out.More news: Disruption of daily rhythms linked to mental health problems
- Jeff Kaplan Reveals More Details About New Overwatch Map "Petra"
- Celtics survive 42-point night by LeBron, down Cavs
- Chrissy Teigen And John Legend Welcome Baby Boy
- Samsung releases red, gold Galaxy S9s in S. Korea
- European Union top diplomats in agreement to follow through Iran N
- Tencent advances revenues 48%, profit over 60% in Q1
- Muslims to commence Ramadan fasting on Thursday - Sultan
- Preakness 2018 Draw and Odds: Justify Is Overwhelming Favorite
- Will perennial runner-up James Harden finally bag the NBA MVP?
- Guatemala follows United States by opening Jerusalem embassy