Robert Palladino, a spokesman for the National Security Council, confirmed Tuesday that the White House has chose to remove the cyber coordinator position following Joyce's departure, Reuters reported.
CNN reported last month Bolton pushed out Tom Bossert as homeland security adviser to make room for his own team, as several other officials left the National Security Council, including deputy national security adviser Nadia Schadlow and Joyce, who served as Bossert's deputy.
"With our two Senior Directors for Cybersecurity, cyber coordination is already a core capability", the announcement read.
United States government scraps cyber coordinator role in White House
In a statement, Langevin lamented Bolton's move as "enormous step backwards" that de-emphasized "the importance of this growing domain within the White House".More news: PUBG Mobile Gets Miramar Desert Map Before Xbox One
"This move impedes our country's strategic efforts to counter cybersecurity threats against our country", he said.
The announcement said the cyber coordinator job would end as Rob Joyce, the latest to hold the post, returned to the National Security Agency. The cyber coordinator position was created during the Obama presidency but John Bolton, President Donald Trump's new national security adviser, said it was not needed. Forcing those responsibilities onto remaining officials may strain them unnecessarily or weaken their ability to respond promptly to threats or policy requests.
"We should be investing in our nation's cyber defense, not rolling it back".More news: WWE Raw Likely To Stay On USA Network
Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA), the top Democrat on the Senate Intel Committee, also blasted the idea on Tuesday. Forming a cohesive cyber defense strategy has become almost impossible as hundreds of departments report into a siloed set of decision makers.More news: Neymar to Real would be tough for Barcelona, says Messi
- Pink Schools Troll Who Insulted Her Age and Looks
- PRIMARY: Voter turn-out normal for primary election
- Cahill defended as Maclaren axed from Australia team
- Amazon announces discounts for Prime members at Whole Foods Market
- GOP pushes for speedy confirmation vote for Central Intelligence Agency nominee
- West Norfolk beaches given Seaside Awards
- Microsoft reportedly plans $400 Surface tablet to rival $329 iPad
- MSU To Pay $500 Million to Victims of Dr. Larry Nassar
- Everton FC Manager Sacked
- Manhattan to scrap majority of marijuana prosecutions