A group of cyclists took off from Reid Park in silence.
"It's kind of hard to not talk, but really we want our silence to speak volumes", organizer Nikki Northrop Davidson said.
The Ride of Silence is an worldwide event that aims to honor bicyclists who have been killed or injured on the roadways.
Memorial to Dan Wilson who was killed while riding his bicycle in 2015
Cyclists will be required to wear a helmet and sign a wavier prior to the event.
"This is a way to honor those who have died and to ask motorists to pay attention especially in crossing areas for pedestrians and when passing cyclists". The 10-mile ride is free and open to riders of all ages.
Hosted by the Sanibel Bicycle Club, Billy's Bike Shop and Matzaluna, participants will start out at Matzaluna The Italian Kitchen.More news: Just In: National Assembly Receives 2018 Budget Report
The ride, held during National Bike Month, is expected to take place across more than 300 different locations and 20 countries.
Why: To remember cyclists killed by motorists; to promote sharing the road; and to raise awareness about bicycle safety.
This is about planning our community around a livable community."The Planning Commission will meet at 4:00 p.m.at City Hall".More news: Cannes 2018: Kristen Stewart Walks Barefoot To Protest Against Heels Only Rule
In honor of those not with us - friends, mothers, fathers, sisters and sons.
The Ride of Silence will pay tribute to Nickell, who was struck and killed in 2010 while pedaling along U.S. Highway 27 near the Lakeridge Winery in Clermont, and others.More news: European Union top diplomats in agreement to follow through Iran N
- Leaker of Michael Cohen's financial records makes another explosive accusation
- Michael Carrick hits golf course the day after hanging up his boots
- Luka Modric: "Liverpool deserve to be in the final"
- Jeff Kaplan Reveals More Details About New Overwatch Map "Petra"
- Will perennial runner-up James Harden finally bag the NBA MVP?
- A Mystery Source Is Producing Banned Ozone-Destroying Chemicals, Shocking Scientists
- Yates secures second stage win to extend Giro d'Italia race lead
- Meghan Markle's Dad Now Says He Wants To Attend Royal Wedding
- Officer saved lives by facing school gunman
- Man charged with stalking Rihanna, burglarizing her home