A group of cyclists took off from Reid Park in silence.
"It's kind of hard to not talk, but really we want our silence to speak volumes", organizer Nikki Northrop Davidson said.
The Ride of Silence is an worldwide event that aims to honor bicyclists who have been killed or injured on the roadways.
Memorial to Dan Wilson who was killed while riding his bicycle in 2015
Cyclists will be required to wear a helmet and sign a wavier prior to the event.
"This is a way to honor those who have died and to ask motorists to pay attention especially in crossing areas for pedestrians and when passing cyclists". The 10-mile ride is free and open to riders of all ages.
Hosted by the Sanibel Bicycle Club, Billy's Bike Shop and Matzaluna, participants will start out at Matzaluna The Italian Kitchen.More news: Leaker of Michael Cohen's financial records makes another explosive accusation
The ride, held during National Bike Month, is expected to take place across more than 300 different locations and 20 countries.
Why: To remember cyclists killed by motorists; to promote sharing the road; and to raise awareness about bicycle safety.
This is about planning our community around a livable community."The Planning Commission will meet at 4:00 p.m.at City Hall".More news: Officer saved lives by facing school gunman
In honor of those not with us - friends, mothers, fathers, sisters and sons.
The Ride of Silence will pay tribute to Nickell, who was struck and killed in 2010 while pedaling along U.S. Highway 27 near the Lakeridge Winery in Clermont, and others.More news: Apple Wants $1 Billion From Samsung In Damages Retrial
- California governor slams Trump for 'lying' about immigration at 'sanctuary city' roundtable
- World Health Organization Seeks Ban Of Unhealthy Trans Fats
- Donald Trump Jr. Is Literally a Cartoon Villain
- Ibrahim Anwar declares 'new dawn for Malaysia' after release
- Michael Carrick hits golf course the day after hanging up his boots
- Tencent advances revenues 48%, profit over 60% in Q1
- Yates secures second stage win to extend Giro d'Italia race lead
- Disruption of daily rhythms linked to mental health problems
- Jeff Kaplan Reveals More Details About New Overwatch Map "Petra"
- Just In: National Assembly Receives 2018 Budget Report