With Justice Chelameswar retiring on June 22 and Thursday being his last working day, the meeting can be held after the induction of Justice A.K. Sikri soon after the retirement of Justice Chelameswar.
The Supreme Court collegium on Wednesday once again deferred the decision to re-recommend Chief Justice of Uttarakhand High Court, Justice K.M. Joseph for elevation to the Supreme Court. Though the decision to reiterate the name was taken, it wasn't sent to the government as most members felt it would be incongruous to send a single name when there were seven SC vacancies. The details of its recommendations were, however, not available as they were not uploaded on the Supreme Court website, as is the practice.More news: Watch now: Full-length trailer for Whitney Houston documentary debuts
Several jurists, former judges and sdvocates have since then stepped forth, calling out the Centre for the move, and demanding reiteration of the recommendation by the Collegium.
The Supreme Court collegium of five senior Judges, which met on Friday, agreed "in principle" that it would reiterate its previous recommendation - returned by the Centre for reconsideration - on appointing the chief justice of the Uttarakhand high court, Justice K.M.Joseph, as a judge of the apex court.More news: Bolton: US sanctions 'possible' on European firms over Iran
The collegium had then once earlier this month deferred its decision on the issue. It had also questioned his seniority for elevation as a judge of the apex court.
The central government had in April asked the collegium to reconsider elevation of Uttarakhand HC Chief Justice Joseph, which had sparked off allegations that his promotion was being stalled because of his order a year ago that had resulted in President's rule being vacated from Uttarakhand.More news: Preakness 2018 Draw and Odds: Justify Is Overwhelming Favorite
- Guatemala follows United States by opening Jerusalem embassy
- Samsung releases red, gold Galaxy S9s in S. Korea
- Ryan Reynolds Meets Kakao Character Ryan For An Interview
- National Weather Service warns of hail, flood risks Monday in Will County
- OnePlus 6 Avengers Edition Launched in China for CNY 4199
- Vaping turns deadly as exploding pen launches projectile into Florida man's head
- North Carolina Teachers Rally Over Wages, Education Funding
- Allan McGregor rejoins Rangers on two-year deal
- Horses, sports betting a mystery fit
- VK Singh holds talks in North Korea, first trip in 20 years