"We had the best chance first up (through Germain) and then we made a mistake that cost us a goal".
Marseille had a fine chance to take the lead early on through Valere Germain, but Garcia admits the best team won overall, even if he thought the scoreline was too harsh on his side. Against a team like Atletico you can not afford to fall behind as it becomes hard. "It's about more than a trophy", Simeone said. It's the OM I love to see and want to see at every game. "There has been joy and sadness, but I am so happy".More news: TI Arrested Because a Security Guard Didn't Recognize Him
The miss was followed by a costly miscontrol by Andre Zambo Anguissa which gifted Griezmann his first of the night on 21 minutes.
And Griezmann effectively killed off the match with another classy strike at the start of the second half, dinking the ball into the back of the net over goalkeeper Steve Mandanda after Koke had sprung him in the Marseille area. It also featured a celebration from the video game "Fortnite". In the end, they could not quite deliver what would have been a real boost for French football - while Payet's injury could be a further problem for Les Bleus with the summer's World Cup now less than a month away.
Asked about man-of-the-match Griezmann following Atletico's third Europa League triumph, Gil Marin told Cadena SER: "It will depend on his feelings more than anything else".More news: Ride of Silence held in Columbus to honor injured and fallen cyclists
They carried on anyway, and so did the game, with sections of the stadium cloaked in thick pyrotechnic smoke.
Atletico is set to return to the Champions League next season, but Simeone will still have to serve the final two games of his ban when the club kicks off its European campaign next season in the Champions League group stage. Subs: Juanfran (on for Vrsaljko, 45) 7, Thomas Partey (on for Correa, 88) N/A, Fernando Torres (on for Griezmann, 90) N/A.
But their performance both domestically and on the continent, having missed out on second place in Ligue 1 by only three points, and reaching the final two of the Europa League, has marked a positive season for Rudi Garcia and his side.More news: Microsoft formally announce the Xbox Adaptive Controller
- Dad of 10 charged with domestic violence in 2011
- Muslims to commence Ramadan fasting on Thursday - Sultan
- Exodus Delayed Until Q1 of 2019
- Golden Knights needed top prove to themselves they could compete with Jets
- Karolina Pliskova attacks umpire's chair in epic tantrum
- OnePlus 6 Avengers Edition Launched in China for CNY 4199
- VK Singh holds talks in North Korea, first trip in 20 years
- Bolton: US sanctions 'possible' on European firms over Iran
- Meghan Markle's Dad Now Says He Wants To Attend Royal Wedding
- Standalone 'Star Wars' film about Lando Calrissian in the works