The pre-tournament squad will begin its training on May 19 in Antalya, Turkey, and play friendlies against the Czech Republic on June 1 in St. Polten, Austria and Hungary on June 9 in Budapest.
But FFA chief executive David Gallop rejected the assertion, telling broadcaster SBS, "Absolutely not".
As naming rights sponsor of the Socceroos, Caltex has rebranded five Caltex sites across Australia to "Cahilltex" to mark its new partnership Tim Cahill ahead of the World Cup next month.
Bailey Wright featured prominently in the qualifiers but won’t be going to Russia
As well as Maclaren, Bristol City skipper Bailey Wright was cut along with long-term back-up goalkeeper Mitch Langerak, Alex Gersbach, Apostolos Giannou, and Aleksandar Susnjar. He has a tremendous record for Australia over the decades and has scored so many crucial goals, not the least being his brace against Syria, which ensured that the Socceroos got past their Middle Eastern opponents in a World Cup playoff.
Tim Cahill has been included in Australia's preliminary World Cup squad for Russian Federation. "He's a guy who has produced for the Socceroos and Australia so many times".
"It is always a challenging task to reduce a squad, however this is the nature of professional sport at the highest level", van Marwijk said in a statement.More news: Manhattan to scrap majority of marijuana prosecutions
The Socceroos head to Turkey this week for a training camp after which Van Marwijk will announce his final 23 before the Federation Internationale de Football Association deadline on June 4.
Despite this, he made the cut as coach Bert van Marwijk trimmed his squad to 26 players from 32, with Maclaren's omission the most controversial, having scored a hat-trick at the weekend for Hibs in their 5-5 draw with Rangers.
"Overall, I believe we have named a strong and ambitious squad for our training camp".More news: First Industrial Realty Trust Inc Stock as Institutional Investors Exit
Melbourne City's teenage sensation Daniel Arzani is still in the reckoning for a place in the final 23-man squad, which will represent the country in group games against France, Denmark and Peru.More news: Pink Schools Troll Who Insulted Her Age and Looks
- Amazon announces discounts for Prime members at Whole Foods Market
- Cisco Systems (CSCO) Expected to Post Quarterly Sales of $12.42 Billion
- Ex-Aston Villa defender Jlloyd Samuel killed in auto crash
- MSU To Pay $500 Million to Victims of Dr. Larry Nassar
- PUBG Mobile Gets Miramar Desert Map Before Xbox One
- Nintendo Bringing Back NES Classic - Again
- North Carolina Teachers Rally Over Wages, Education Funding
- Messi: Real Madrid win like no other team
- Pennington Head Coach Shares Thought Process Behind UFC 224 Decision
- Watch now: Full-length trailer for Whitney Houston documentary debuts