The officer also told Dakota they would always have his back.
The boy's father was killed during a shootout with a homicide suspect in early May, CBS reported.
Dakota wore his father's badge around his neck and over 70 officers welcomed Dakota back to school.More news: Affordable Realme 1 phone launched on Amazon with 6GB of RAM
Dakota's dad, 45-year-old Rob Pitt, was killed last week after a three-hour standoff with Christopher Wolfe, 21, who was suspected of murder.
Dakota's dad, Rob Pitts, was IN police officer for the Terre Haute and Sullivan police departments.
The officers gave Dakota gifts and told him they would always have his back.
When he arrived at Sullivan Elementary, there were 70 IN police waiting outside to give Dakota his very own police escort to school.More news: Honor 10 launched: Watch unboxing and first impressions
"He will definitely know that his dad was a hero".
A three-hour standoff took place before Wolfe opened fire from the second floor of the apartment, fatally striking Rob Pitts, who left behind another son and daughter, as well as Dakota.
"It's a brotherhood", Detective Les Hamm, Terre Haute Police said. "I ask Hoosiers around the state to join me in honoring Patrolman Pitts" service & dedication, ' he said.More news: 'Play like this and we'll lose the final,' Conte warns Chelsea stars
- 'Laurel' or 'yanny'?: Viral 4-second audio clip is dividing the internet
- Netflix & ESPN Partner On Michael Jordan Docuseries 'The Last Dance'
- Uber won't force sexual assault survivors into arbitration
- The 'Deadpool 2' Post-Credits Scene Gets Justice for Ryan Reynolds
- Russian Federation qualify for 2019 World Cup in Japan after Romania docked points
- Is Man City greatest Premier League team ever?
- Violence on demonstrators in Gaza is 'unacceptable and inhuman'
- British rugby player dies in Sri Lanka after visiting nightclub
- Eagles' Jay Ajayi Sued For Trashing Mansion, Accused of Pushing Home Owner
- American Airlines bans some emotional support animals