The officer also told Dakota they would always have his back.
The boy's father was killed during a shootout with a homicide suspect in early May, CBS reported.
Dakota wore his father's badge around his neck and over 70 officers welcomed Dakota back to school.More news: Mario Tennis Aces Serves Up Pre-Launch Tournament
Dakota's dad, 45-year-old Rob Pitt, was killed last week after a three-hour standoff with Christopher Wolfe, 21, who was suspected of murder.
Dakota's dad, Rob Pitts, was IN police officer for the Terre Haute and Sullivan police departments.
The officers gave Dakota gifts and told him they would always have his back.
When he arrived at Sullivan Elementary, there were 70 IN police waiting outside to give Dakota his very own police escort to school.More news: Wife of PGA golfer Lucas Glover arrested on domestic violence charges
"He will definitely know that his dad was a hero".
A three-hour standoff took place before Wolfe opened fire from the second floor of the apartment, fatally striking Rob Pitts, who left behind another son and daughter, as well as Dakota.
"It's a brotherhood", Detective Les Hamm, Terre Haute Police said. "I ask Hoosiers around the state to join me in honoring Patrolman Pitts" service & dedication, ' he said.More news: Russian Federation qualify for 2019 World Cup in Japan after Romania docked points
- Miramar Map Now Available in PUBG Mobile for Android and iOS
- Kia to introduce 48v hybrid tech to diesel engines
- WhatsApp Revamps Group Chats With New Tools
- Affordable Realme 1 phone launched on Amazon with 6GB of RAM
- Eagles' Jay Ajayi Sued For Trashing Mansion, Accused of Pushing Home Owner
- Netflix & ESPN Partner On Michael Jordan Docuseries 'The Last Dance'
- 'Play like this and we'll lose the final,' Conte warns Chelsea stars
- Cardi B Issues Apology For Offensive Language On New Feature "Girls"
- Pauley Perrette alludes to physical assaults
- American Airlines bans some emotional support animals