Other factors, including Tepper's ability to pay more in cash and the fact that his approval appears to be a formality, were other potential factors, the person said. Once the paperwork is signed, the owners will vote next Tuesday to likely approve.
Forbes listed Tepper's net worth at $11.4bn in February of 2017.More news: Apple CEO Tim Cook praises Parkland, 'Me Too' activists in commencement speech
The Carolina Panthers will reportedly get a new owner Tuesday, with a sale price that's double the league records.
"If he's good enough for Art Rooney, he's good enough for me", one owner said, referring to the owner of the Steelers. He has to sell Steelers share.
12 Sports reached out to the Carolina Panthers but was told that the team is not taking calls at this time regarding ownership. The NFL has a rule that you can not be an owner of two different franchises. What will he do with the 13-foot tall Jerry Richardson statue? The people spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team has not yet announced the sale.More news: Christie Brinkley Spotted With Stormy Daniels' Lawyer Michael Avenatti
Tepper made $2.2 billion in 2012, reports Institutional Investor's Alpha, which made him the highest paid hedge fund manager in the nation that year. This, in spite of the lagging television ratings over the past couple of seasons. "We wish the Panthers and their fans every success going forward".
The best part about this news, of course, is that the team is staying in Carolina. There was one bidder who wanted to secure a new stadium in SC.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - The Carolina Panthers are being sold for an NFL-record $2.2 billion.More news: NBC Entertainment Chief on 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine': A "Missed Opportunity" No More
Tepper, though, was long the preferred buyer from inside the NFL.
- The cold - could it become less common?
- Confirmed Ebola cases in Congo spikes to 39
- Ford Suspends Production of F-150 Trucks
- Trump greets Muslims on Ramadan
- Tuesday, May 15 Morning Forecast
- 'The House That Jack Built' Trailer Shows Off Brutality
- Dutch govt bans use of Kaspersky Lab products
- Nokia X6 complete details, pricing, AI features leaked in 16 new images
- United Nations chief welcomes North Korea's closure of nuke test site
- Gap Apologises For Flogging Shirts With Map Of China Bereft Of Taiwan