Christened 'EcoDynamics+', the new mild-hybrid powertrain is paired with a 0.46 kWh 48-volt lithium-ion battery and uses a new mild-hybrid starter-generator (MHSG) unit. Because the MHSG integrates directly with the engine, driving the crankshaft via a belt, there is little need to repackage the engine bay.More news: Mario Tennis Aces Serves Up Pre-Launch Tournament
The electrified models will be two of 16 new advanced-powertrain vehicles Kia will introduce by 2025, including a electric version of Kia's Niro SUV later this year. The latter is connected to the diesel engine's crankshaft by a belt, and under acceleration, it provides up to 10kW (14PS / 13hp) of extra power. In "motor" mode, under acceleration, it uses battery charge to add torque to the engine to aid acceleration. The powertrain will also be adapted for use in petrol engines. The 48 volt generator recharges the vehicle's battery when the diesel engine is running. When braking mode is activated the generator, which charges the battery from the kinetic energy.
The battery recovers energy from the diesel engine's crankshaft when the vehicle is decelerating or driving downhill.
It can even deliver a "Moving Stop-Start" if there's enough charge in the battery. The MHSG can then seamlessly re-ignite the engine - in any situation - if the driver presses the throttle pedal. And because the 48V battery connects to the car's on-board power supply it means a smaller 12v battery and starter motor. The adoption of the MHSG also means the conventional starter motor can be made smaller and lighter, reserved primarily for cold starts at extremely low temperatures.More news: Khloe Kardashian Reveals Who Suggested the Name 'True' for Her Daughter!
The diesel mild-hybrid powertrain is compatible with both manual and automatic transmissions, and could be adapted for front-, rear- and all-wheel drivetrain layouts.
Kia hasn't released any specs yet, but says that the 48V battery will be located beneath the boot floor, at least in the case of the Sportage.
Details of the pricing, performance and specification of the new Kia Sportage SUV have yet to be announced.More news: Former Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini named new Italy manager
- Kashmiris Beaten by Mob In Delhi Colony, Residents Say They Started It
- Deputies conclude investigation into young girl attacked by bear
- Elon Musk explains Falcon 9 Block 5 which carried Bangabandhu-1
- Southern Maryland now included in severe thunderstorm warning
- Tesla Registers New Business In China
- Netflix & ESPN Partner On Michael Jordan Docuseries 'The Last Dance'
- WTO Opens Door For US Retaliation In Airbus Subsidy Saga
- Netta Barzilai wins 2018 Eurovision Song Contest for Israel
- QLD Captain Cam Smith Announces Origin Retirement
- Harvick uses late move to win NASCAR race in Kansas