A 5-year-old Colorado girl is hospitalized in fair condition after she was attacked by a bear outside her home.
The girl ventured outside at 2:30 a.m. Sunday to "investigate noises in the yard she may have thought was her dog", a news release from the Colorado Parks and Wildlife stated.
Her mother went outside when she heard screaming.
In 911 recordings released Monday and obtained by CBS affiliate KREX, the girl's father calmly says the bear "picked her up by her butt" with his mouth.More news: STD cases drastically climb in California
Porras says warming temperatures on Sunday made the hounds' ability to track the bear less effective.
An autopsy has been conducted on the 127-pound, two-year-old male bear that attacked Kimberly Cyr outside of her East Orchard Mesa home early Sunday morning.
"She yelled at the animal, she screamed at it".
"[The girl] has been the calmest person in the room all day long", said pediatric surgeon Dr. Charles Breaux of St. Mary's Medical Center. "And by doing so, she probably saved her little girl's life", said Porras, AP reported. The father later said he was mistaken, after talking to his daughter and learning she went outside to investigate a noise.More news: Project Maven: Nearly a dozen Google employees have reportedly quit in protest
Wildlife officials stress black bears are not out to hunt people but that conflicts, including attacks, can happen once bears get access to easy, calorie-rich human food and return for more.
Last month, a hungry bear got locked inside a auto in Boulder County, Kansas.com reported.
Another bear was spotted about a half-mile from the girl's home a week ago, Romatzke said.More news: Sadr eyes Govt as poll upset rocks Iraq
Based on the description of the bear and its behavior, wildlife officers are confident the dead bear is the same bear involved in the attack on the girl.
- Southern Maryland now included in severe thunderstorm warning
- WTO Opens Door For US Retaliation In Airbus Subsidy Saga
- Scottish parliament decisively rejects European Union withdrawal bill
- Amber Alert Issued By Tulsa Police For Missing 7-Year-Old
- Boston Dynamics SpotMini Robot Will Go On Sale In 2019
- Winklevoss Crypto Exchange Wins Approval to Trade Zcash
- Title Match Confirmed For WWE Raw This Week
- Netta Barzilai wins 2018 Eurovision Song Contest for Israel
- Coroner: Detained suspect in Louisiana died of asphyxiation
- Arsene Wenger claims he nearly signed Cristiano Ronaldo