There are 409 total self driving cars. The DMV has now approved a resounding 53 companies for self-driving auto permits, resulting in 409 autonomous vehicles with 1,573 safety drivers. Since obtaining a permit to test autonomous vehicles, Apple's fleet size has steadily risen - from a scant three test cars, to 27 in January, and now, 55 intelligent machines. Apple actually has more self-driving cars in testing than self-driving pioneers such as Waymo (51) and Tesla (39), as well as big automotive companies like BMW (12), Toyota (11), and Mercedes Benz (5). General Motors' Cruise Automation division has 104 cars and 407 drivers, according to the DMV figures. In addition to California, Waymo tests its cars on public roads in Arizona, Michigan, and Georgia.
With a new permit and expanded fleet, things are finally starting to look up for Apple after years of hardship.More news: Newcastle Owner Mike Ashley Says He Wants Rafa Benitez To Stay On
Nowadays, Smartphone Giant Apple back in lamplight for its self-driving fleet.
Like other tech giants, Apple is keen to get into the auto space, with Tim Cook a year ago saying that autonomous systems are "a core technology" that the company views as "very important". Apple CEO Tim Cook has called self-driving "a core technology that we view as very important". Its self-driving program is still a mystery; however, it collects data for self-driving software.More news: Israeli rabbi who compared black people to monkeys blesses Ivanka Trump, husband
"We sort of see it as the mother of all AI projects. It's probably one of the most hard AI projects actually to work on".
But before a company can acquire the required permit, it has to test its cars in a controlled setting.More news: EPL: Mourinho explains why he won't have assistant manager next season
- Police praise students for "best senior prank"
- Coroner: Detained suspect in Louisiana died of asphyxiation
- STD cases drastically climb in California
- "Rage 2" Video Game Trailer Highlights Savage Action & Brutal Villains
- Title Match Confirmed For WWE Raw This Week
- Mariners' Robinson Cano Suspended 80 games
- Cargill has 'significant concerns' over US-China trade spat
- The 17 richest young millionaire athletes in Britain
- Co-Pilot Nearly Sucked Out Of Plane After Cockpit Window Shattered
- Sadr eyes Govt as poll upset rocks Iraq