Kristen Stewart walks barefoot on the red carpet after she removed her shoes.
An outspoken opponent to the dress-code, the Twilight star made a decision to commit her own act of protest at Monday night's premiere of BlacKkKlansman, by ditching her Louboutins and finishing off her red carpet run shoe-less.More news: Sonam Kapoor makes heads turn as she slays on the red carpet!
The 28-year-old has been a vocal critic of the festival's red carpet policy, which was updated this year to ban selfies. Taking them off before heading up the stairs at Palais des Festivals she provided the event with a moment of reality amidst the festival's fantasy.
Stewart passed the first bank of photographers without protest, posing for the press in her thigh-skimming metallic mini-dress. "You can not come in", then (I'm going to say), "Neither is my friend, does he have to wear heels?".
The move could have also been a dig at the expectation for women to wear heels at the glitzy festival, which made headlines and spawned the term "heelgate" in 2015 after well-dressed women were denied entrance into a screening due to their flat shoe choice. People get very upset at you if you don't wear heels or whatever'.More news: Drake is going on tour, with two dates in Toronto this August
Speaking at the time, she said: "Everyone should wear flats, to be honest".
BlacKkKlansman, which tells the story of an African-American infiltrating the KKK and stars John David Washington and Adam Driver, was given a standing ovation at the end of its premiere on Monday night.More news: Tuesday, May 15 Morning Forecast
- Nikki Bella Reacts to John Cena's Candid Admission: 'I'm Speechless'
- Trump Administration Defends Plan to Lower Prescription Drug Prices
- Will Navjot Sidhu go to jail? Supreme Court to decide on Tuesday
- NASA is sending a tiny robot helicopter to Mars
- Arsenal will find it hard to replace Wenger - Gilberto Silva
- IPhone explodes in Las Vegas fix shop
- Christie Brinkley Spotted With Stormy Daniels' Lawyer Michael Avenatti
- YouTube TV gets a new 'voice remote' feature
- Kylie Jenner's bodygaurd Tim Chung denies being Stormi's father
- Iran nuclear deal: The EU's billion-dollar deals at risk