The conflict, including in the northern-most state of Kachin, has escalated over the past month as the global focus remains on the Rohingya crisis in the west of the country.
U Zaw Htay wrote on his facebook: "The fact that the TNLA has to carry out minor military operation as they have to suffer losses in attacks in the forest is unacceptable Attacks on civilian targets would not amount to demanding ethnic rights". In the past few months, clashes between ethnic groups and the military in Burma's northeastern region have intensified, resulting in thousands of people being displaced in neighboring Kachin state.
Myanmar's de facto leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, has so far failed to fulfill her top priority of achieving peace with ethnic minority insurgents.More news: Repeated Rounds Of Israeli Rockets Hit Syria, Says State Media
Video on social media showed smoke rising above Muse's prominent trading center.
China's embassy in Myanmar said in a statement that the conflict had sent stray bullets into China, along with an unidentified number of people seeking refuge.
Saturday's violence was between the military and the Ta'ang National Liberation Army, or TNLA, one of several insurgent groups fighting for more autonomy in the north.
Killed 19 people, another 20 were injured. "It is just a destructive terrorist attack".More news: Tick-borne disease on the rise in Vermont
Burma is often called Myanmar, a name that military authorities adopted in 1989.
It is unclear if members of the powerful Kachin Independence Army, or KIA, took part in the attacks on Saturday though the commander-in-chief's post said they did.
He said the military would pursue the armed group.
The United Nations estimates more than 690,000 Rohingya Muslims have fled to neighboring Bangladesh since fighting in the western state of Rakhine broke out last August.More news: Kvitova outlasts Bertens for 3rd Madrid Open title
Myanmar's patchwork of ethnic groups make up around a third of the population.
- Iran condemns wave of Israeli air strikes in Syria
- Russia Warned Iran Ahead of Israel's Extensive Strikes in Syria
- UCO Bank posts net loss of Rs 2134 cr in Q4
- J&K Govt And Opposition Recommend Temporary Ceasefire Against Terrorists To Centre
- Fortnite's Infinity Gauntlet Mode Tweaked and Rebalanced
- France condemns U.S. move to re-impose Iran sanctions
- Pakistan played a role in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks: Nawaz Sharif
- Israeli Airstrikes on Iranian Targets in Syria Kill 23, Watchdog Group Says
- Antonio Conte defends Chelsea record ahead of final league game
- Tornado Watch issued for half of NJ on Saturday night