A red tide is sparking a light show on some California beaches.
By day the plankton turn the water red, but come nightfall they radiate a blue glow when the algae are disturbed by movement, such as waves crashing on to the shoreline.
The Scripps Institution of Oceanography shared a photo on Wednesday showing a radiating blue light coming from the waves near a beach in San Diego. Scripps says this particular red tide in the San Diego area is not known to be toxic, but some people may be sensitive to contact with it. The glow can be seen in full view at night, about two hours after sunset, shining like a liquid version of the Northern Lights.More news: Melissa McCarthy is amusing . Why isn't 'The Life of the Party?'
Bioluminescence expert Michael Latz says the glow hasn't happened in California in almost five years.
The dinoflagellates are a type of marine phytoplankton. Other regions, including Puget Sound in the Northwest, experience shellfish toxicity, which Native Americans connected to bioluminescence hundreds of years ago.
Bioluminescent phytoplankton create their own light during a red tide in the rolling surf along the coast of Leucadia, California, Sept 29, 2011.More news: Mark Ingram's appeal denied, won't play Week 4 vs. Giants
"In general, the more organisms there are, the brighter the bioluminescence", he added.
"We're getting reports that the bioluminesence runs from La Jolla to Encinitas, but we don't know how big the red tide is", Latz told the Union-Tribune on Tuesday afternoon.
"These are unusual and rare events and they should be enjoyed".More news: Sensex, Nifty hit highest since February 1, but market breadth remains negative
- Miami Approves 10-Year Plan to Host Formula One Race
- Ryan Coogler Says All-Female 'Black Panther' Spinoff 'Would Be Amazing'
- Manchester United custodian David de Gea reacts to clinching maiden Golden Glove
- Facebook Could Be Creating Its Own Cryptocurrency
- Teen Fails In Attempt To Steal Blake Bortles' Truck
- David Tepper moves ahead of Ben Navarro in Panthers' bidding
- Noteworthy Stock: Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. (HMNY)
- 18 die, 27 hurt after 2nd West Uttar Pradesh storm
- Kangana Ranaut goes bold, makes heads turn at Cannes 2018
- Budget reaction, Labor's Budget reply and citizenship crisis continues