JLR said in a statement: "In light of the continuing headwinds impacting the auto industry, we are making some adjustments to our production schedules and the level of agency staff". The carmaker, which is the UK's biggest producer, confirmed that in March sales were down 26% in the United Kingdom and 16% in Europe, which together account for 45% of its domestic production.
In January, the firm stated it would temporarily decrease production at its other British plant of Halewood later this year in reaction to decreasing demand because of Brexit and tax hikes on diesel cars but did not describe any job losses.
Industry figures show continuing declines in United Kingdom vehicle production mainly thanks to steep falls in domestic demand, while there are also concerns about how exports may be affected by any trade barriers which could be thrown up by Brexit. "But even against this backdrop it's good to see that we have closed our financial year with record retail sales".More news: Jenna Bush Hager tearfully gives update on grandmother Barbara Bush's health
This year has been one of major contrast for JLR.
Reuters reports Jaguar Land Rover makes almost one in every three of the U.K.'s 1.7 million vehicles. About 362 staff personnel will be moved from the Castle Bromwich facility to Solihull to make up for the dearth of workforce.
Unhappily for JLR, 90 per cent of its vehicles are powered by diesel engines and there are critical industry voices that say they have been slower than their rivals to embrace hybrids and electric, the BBC reported. JLR exports 80% of the vehicles it makes across its three plants in the United Kingdom, which also includes Castle Bromwich and Halewood.More news: LeBron James' Uninterrupted Sued Over Barber Shop Video
It commented that although many jobs are being cut, "large numbers of highly skilled engineers, graduates and apprentices" are being hired.More news: Daniels releases sketch of man in parking lot
- Analysts noticed BLOCKv (VEE)'s 24 hours fall of -0.74%
- IRS Online Payment System Experiences Outage
- Bon-Ton, owner of Younkers and other department stores, heads to liquidation
- Today is the Tax deadline, how to request an extension
- The Cohen hearing, attorney client privilege and Sean Hannity
- No more official Instagram support for Windows 10 Mobile
- Bomb blast outside the office of Indian consulate in Nepal
- At least seven dead after 'mass casualty incident' at SC prison
- New Kulve Taroth Elder Dragon Revealed
- Supreme Court Strikes Down Mandatory Deportations for Immigrants Convicted of Some Crimes