"Andhra Pradesh is reeling through a very hard phase, with no trace of development, and hence special category status alone will put Andhra Pradesh on the path of development", the YSR Congress Party chief wrote.
Normal life came to a standstill in Andhra Pradesh on Monday as the day-long shutdown called in demand for the special status category to the state evoked near total response.
However, the Telugu Desam Party (TDP), which has been agitating for the special category status and implementation of the provisions of the AP Reorganisation Act, has opposed it and have refused to take part in the protest. State Road Transport Corporation buses remained confined to the depots as protesters staged sit-ins and "road roko" at various places.More news: Blake Shelton Dishes About Gwen After ACMs
On Sunday, Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu said bandhs were not welcome as they hamper development.
The Jagan Reddy-led YSRC hit back, accusing the Chief Minister of adopting "double standards".
On Monday, Andhra Pradesh Cabinet finalised the strategy for the one-day hunger strike-led by Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu over the same issue. Congress and the Left parties backed the call for the bandh to fight for special status for Andhra Pradesh.More news: China's trade surplus with USA rises
He added that Naidu should understand that bandh was a form of a democratic protest and he had no right to oppose it.
TDP reached a deadlock with its ally BJP over the non-issuance of the status to the state and ultimately quit the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) coalition on March 16. At the end of the Budget Session of Parliament, 5 YSR Congress MPs submitted their resignation as well after the Parliament session ended without any special package for the state.More news: Lamar Odom Responds to Kanye West's Touching Tweet
- Dark Souls: Remastered Delayed on Nintendo Switch
- Britain braces for possible Russian retaliation over Syria strikes
- Facebook class action lawsuit over facial recognition OK'd by judge
- OnePlus 5T Gets iPhone X Like Gesture Navigation With OxygenOS 5.1.0
- Street Fighter V new DLC character announcement, meet Falke
- PM accuses Russian Federation and Syria of trying to cover up chemical attack
- Facebook responds to how it collects data when you are logged out
- Police expected to take stand in Cosby trial
- Apple plans to launch the Apple Music of magazines
- AMD's Ryzen 2 processors have been overclocked beyond 5GHz