One of South Carolina's most unsafe prisons was secured early Monday after a "mass casualty incident" involving multiple inmates at several housing units, officials said.
South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster will provide an update to the Lee Correctional Institution incident with South Carolina Corrections and SLED officials at 1:30 PM at the SCDC headquarters in Columbia.
Authorities said in an incident beginning around 7:15 p.m. on Sunday, inmates housed in multiple dorms at Lee Correctional were involved in a disturbance. No police officers or prison employees were injured, the department said. The prison was secure at 2:55 a.m.More news: Boy unearths Danish king's treasure trove in Germany
All prison staff and responding law enforcement were safe after the incident, the South Carolina Department of Corrections wrote. Aid was received from Florence County EMS, Kershaw County EMS, Darlington County EMS, Lexington County EMS and Hartsville Rescue.
State police were called to one of South Carolina's most unsafe prisons Sunday night.
Lee County Coroner Larry Logan told the Associated Press he arrived at the scene to find melees throughout much of the prison.More news: Travel delay barely alters game day routine for Winnipeg Jets
Photo Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville, S.C., is a maximum-security prison.
In February, one inmate fatally stabbed another.
The prison is about 50 miles east of Columbia.More news: IDF destroys Hamas terror tunnel that was 'ready for use'
- All of Nikki Bella and John Cena's Breakup Details
- India Protests Over Pakistan Denying Consular Access to Sikh Pilgrims
- Sun, Rain and Snow; Three Days of Weather!
- Arsenal away form is 'baffling', says Wenger
- Irish country music legend Big Tom McBride dies aged 81
- Assad 'in a good mood' despite missile strikes on Syria
- Too Much Sitting Might Be Bad For Your Memory, New Study Cautions
- Little is known about what was actually achieved by strikes on Syria
- Monday is final day to register to vote in Pennsylvania primary
- Kelly 'Sex Cult' Accuser Claims Singer Infected Her with STD