One of South Carolina's most unsafe prisons was secured early Monday after a "mass casualty incident" involving multiple inmates at several housing units, officials said.
South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster will provide an update to the Lee Correctional Institution incident with South Carolina Corrections and SLED officials at 1:30 PM at the SCDC headquarters in Columbia.
Authorities said in an incident beginning around 7:15 p.m. on Sunday, inmates housed in multiple dorms at Lee Correctional were involved in a disturbance. No police officers or prison employees were injured, the department said. The prison was secure at 2:55 a.m.More news: Irish country music legend Big Tom McBride dies aged 81
All prison staff and responding law enforcement were safe after the incident, the South Carolina Department of Corrections wrote. Aid was received from Florence County EMS, Kershaw County EMS, Darlington County EMS, Lexington County EMS and Hartsville Rescue.
State police were called to one of South Carolina's most unsafe prisons Sunday night.
Lee County Coroner Larry Logan told the Associated Press he arrived at the scene to find melees throughout much of the prison.More news: All of Nikki Bella and John Cena's Breakup Details
Photo Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville, S.C., is a maximum-security prison.
In February, one inmate fatally stabbed another.
The prison is about 50 miles east of Columbia.More news: Trump a serial liar, says Comey
- Little is known about what was actually achieved by strikes on Syria
- EPS for Royal Dutch Shell plc (RDS.A) forecasted at $1.10
- Cathy Yan to Direct Birds of Prey Movie
- Assad 'in a good mood' despite missile strikes on Syria
- Manchester City to avoid ban from CAS
- Namibia: Correctional Officer Arrested in Drug Bust At Omaruru
- S.Korea says officials may visit N.Korea ahead of summit
- Tiger Roll wins Grand National in thrilling finish
- Too Much Sitting Might Be Bad For Your Memory, New Study Cautions
- Xiaomi Redmi S2 With Snapdragon 625 SoC, Face Unlock Heading to India