The drag performer won the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest with her song "Rise Like a Phoenix", and later became a powerful ambassador for diversity around the world - performing at both the European Parliament and the United Nations. What other health condition would be used as blackmail against someone?
"Since I received the diagnosis, I have received medical treatment and for many years I've been under the detection limit, so am not able to pass on the virus".
"[My status] is actually irrelevant to the public, but an ex-boyfriend is threatening to go public with this private information, and I will not give anyone the right to frighten me or affect my life", she wrote.More news: Facebook class action lawsuit over facial recognition OK'd by judge
She said: "I hope to encourage (others) and make a step against the stigmatization of people who through their own behaviour or through no fault of their own were infected with HIV".
The singer had meant to keep her diagnosis a private matter but chose to go public after an ex-boyfriend had threatened to go public.
"I believe that this information is primarily relevant to those with whom I have had sexual contact", she remarked in her caption. Until relatively recently contracting the HIV virus was widely regarded as deadly, as the infection would progress to acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), undermining patients' ability to fight off disease.
Conchita claimed she didn't want to say anything because of her family.More news: Deceased Woman's Testimony Can Be Used In Her Murder Trial, Judge Rules
"Coming out is better than being outed", she wrote, according to the Guardian.
It is maintained at this level by regular medication and takes around six months to achieve after being initially diagnosed with the virus. If levels of the virus are under the threshold of detection in a person living with HIV, AVERT notes that means the person can not pass the virus along to others.
Her Instagram followers have been nothing else than supportive, claiming they are proud of her for being so fearless and stepping up to those who want to harm by judging someone for his or her condition. I'm happy and healthy, and I'm stronger, more motivated and liberated than ever.
"But I'm grateful that already she is seizing the opportunity to dispel ignorance & fear by affirming that HIV undetectable = untransmittable", Hodson added.More news: US rescuers find bodies of missing Keralite, daughter
- Thousands of Android apps are tracking children, study finds
- China's trade surplus with USA rises
- Jefferies Group LLC Set Hold Rating for Coca-Cola European Partners plc (CCE)
- Statewide bandh in Andhra Pradesh over special category status demand
- PM accuses Russian Federation and Syria of trying to cover up chemical attack
- No missiles but ballet as North Korea's Kim puts on a show
- Dark Souls: Remastered Delayed on Nintendo Switch
- Blake Shelton Dishes About Gwen After ACMs
- Apple plans to launch the Apple Music of magazines
- Multiply Your Income Using Technical Report of: Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ:CMCSA)