In addition to all the badass women behind the camera, the source material for Birds of Prey features some of DC Comics' most legendary female heroes, namely Barbara Gordon (Batgirl), Black Canary, and Huntress.
DC's new gang of female characters has found a ringleader.More news: Namibia: Correctional Officer Arrested in Drug Bust At Omaruru
Yan will be the second female filmmaker to direct a DC film, followed by Patty Jenkin's "Wonder Woman".
This is an historic move for Warner Bros. and DC - and a definitive win over Marvel Studios.
Yan will team up with screenwriter Christina Hodson - who was recently hired to revive Joss Whedon's abandoned Batgirl project - and Robbie will produce the film via her LuckyChap Entertainment production company. Production is expected to begin at the end of this year after Robbie wraps filming on Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.More news: Trump refuses to give timeline for Syria intervention
Yan is the director behind Dead Pigs, which won the World Cinema Dramatic Award for Ensemble Acting at this year's Sundance Film Festival. That includes the Suicide Squad sequel to be directed by Gavin O'Connor.
Back to Yan. She was a Wall Street Journal reporter who worked from New York, Hong Kong and Beijing, and one of the paper's youngest reporters to land multiple stories on the front page.
Admittedly, it's been somewhat hard keeping track of the happenings over at Warner Bros.' DCU: you've got movies that are part of the established Snyder-verse (Aquaman, the next Wonder Woman), movies that aren't a part of that mythology (the forthcoming Joker movie from Todd Phillips), and a few projects whose ties to the greater DCU remain unclear (the long-gestating Gotham City Sirens movie, for instance).More news: Assad 'in a good mood' despite missile strikes on Syria
- Kendrick Lamar is a Pulitzer Prize victor
- India Protests Over Pakistan Denying Consular Access to Sikh Pilgrims
- Tiger Roll wins Grand National in thrilling finish
- EPS for Royal Dutch Shell plc (RDS.A) forecasted at $1.10
- Arsenal away form is 'baffling', says Wenger
- Sun, Rain and Snow; Three Days of Weather!
- Too Much Sitting Might Be Bad For Your Memory, New Study Cautions
- All of Nikki Bella and John Cena's Breakup Details
- Ulster players release statement on Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding departure
- IDF destroys Hamas terror tunnel that was 'ready for use'