Fights among inmates erupted Sunday evening at the Lee Correctional Institution in Bishopville, South Carolina and was brought under control at 2:55 am on Monday.
In 1993, nine inmates and a corrections officer were killed in the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility, a maximum security prison in Lucasville, Ohio.
State Law Enforcement Division agents helped secure the Lee Correctional Institution about 3AM Monday local time (5PM AEST) after the fights began at 7:15 PM Sunday (9.15AM Monday AEST) prison spokesman Jeff Taillon said. That year, two officers were stabbed in a brawl. It took until 3 a.m. for authorities to restore order to the facility as the fights raged out of control for hours.
He said he saw several attackers taunt a rival gang member who was badly injured.More news: Kelly 'Sex Cult' Accuser Claims Singer Infected Her with STD
"I just saw three dead on the sidewalk outside of my unit".
"In prison, it's not like you have guns, or people are going to get run over", Logan said in a phone interview.
"The incident at Lee [Correctional Institution] resulted in 17 inmates requiring outside medical attention and seven inmates were killed", the South Carolina Department of Corrections tweeted on Monday.More news: NFL Mock Draft: Buffalo Bills trade it all for a top quarterback
"The COs [corrections officers] never even attempted to render aid, nor quell the disturbance", he said.
The South Carolina Department of Corrections identified the prisoners who died in the riot on Facebook as "Raymond Angelo Scott, Michael Milledge, Damonte Marquez Rivera, Eddie Casey Jay Gaskins, Joshua Svwin Jenkins, Corey Scott, Cornelius Quantral McClary". One man was found unresponsive in his single cell, while another inmate died from injuries he sustained during a fight.
"These folks are fighting over real money and real territory when they are incarcerated", Stirling said.
Gov. Henry McMaster said these types of incidents are avoided, or kept to a minimum, by rules and regulations, protocol and training.More news: Daniels releases sketch of man in parking lot
McMaster said he was outraged the state can't jam cellphone signals in prisons.
- IRS Online Payment System Experiences Outage
- Two weather warnings issued as wind and rain to batter Ireland
- Manchester City to avoid ban from CAS
- Bear hands ball to referee to begin Russian soccer game
- IDF destroys Hamas terror tunnel that was 'ready for use'
- LeBron James' Uninterrupted Sued Over Barber Shop Video
- Inmates Killed, 17 More Injured, in South Carolina Prison Violence
- Irish country music legend Big Tom McBride dies aged 81
- Popovich: LaMarcus 'Has Been A Monster' And 'Plays Through Everything'
- Bomb blast outside the office of Indian consulate in Nepal