That deficit made Wednesday's return leg seem like an impossible task for Juventus but it got off to the ideal start when Mario Mandzukic opened the scoring with a header two minutes into the match.
When the game was heading towards extra time, Medhi Benatia challenged Lucas Vazquez and the referee pointed towards the spot.
However, a stunning first-half brace from Mario Mandzukic turned the tie on its head, and in the 61st minute, Blaise Matuidi scored a rare goal to level the aggregate score at 3-3.
Ronaldo - displaying nerves of steel - fired home the victor in dramatic fashion to score in his 11th consecutive Champions League match and sparked jubilant celebrations around the ground. Ronaldo's shot took a deflection off Pjanic before it got tipped for a corner by the veteran goalkeeper.More news: Mitzi Shore Dies: Stand-Up Comedy Matriarch Was 87
Several individuals will come under scrutiny, starting with Zidane himself who would nearly certainly have been removed from his position in the near future if Juve had won the tie.
"It was a penalty, they've told me it was a penalty".
"I want to say the duty we have tomorrow is to erase that 3-0 which was a very hard result".
Stay with PREMIUM TIMES for Live Updates as the last set of semi-finalists are confirmed for the Champions League tonight.
This must be what Zinedine Zidane's message would have been to his players.More news: Four civilians, soldier killed in Kashmir
A routine cross from Costa on the right hand side was seemingly swept up by Navas in the Madrid goal in what looked like a routine grab.
As the clock ticked on Juventus looked a tad lifeless but then Mandzukic popped up again with another bullet head to put his side 2-0.
Juve was causing problems again on seven minutes when Douglas Costa advanced into the box from the right and saw his low cross parried by Keylor Navas, who reacted quickly to deny Gonzalo Higuain at close range on the rebound. "I had two more substitutions planned for extra time and I was confident we could do it".More news: White House: Trump, May will 'not allow' Syria chemical attacks to continue
- Kevin Casey sexual assault case reviewed by Los Angeles District Attorney
- Cristiano Ronaldo scores injury-time penalty as Real Madrid break Juventus hearts
- IShares Edge MSCI Intl Value Factor (IVLU) Rises 0.131% for April 11
- I run Facebook and I'm responsible, says Mark Zuckerberg in testimony
- Facebook: Mark Zuckerberg and USA senators inspire endless memes
- Trump Calls Off Trip To South America To Focus On Syria
- Dems: No evidence of credible threats against EPA's Pruitt
- In the network appeared the exclusive Wallpaper for new red iPhone 8
- Pep Guardiola charged with improper conduct after Liverpool defeat
- Japan asks S. Korea to raise abduction issue at North-South summit