Notwithstanding the historic occasion, the veteran pair were unable to mark the day with progression to the semi finals, surrendering a 4-1 lead from the first leg with Roma at the Nou Camp by letting in three goals without reply at the Stadio Olimpico.
"A failure without excuses", said their front cover, with an editorial adding: "Valverde's fear leaves Barca without another Champions League in the era of Messi". "You had the sensation that they could get the third goal at any time and in the end, they did".
"Valverde's conservatism took its toll", claimed paper Marca, criticizing the trainer not fluent his team at league games despite using the Spanish name nearly wrapped up, leading to his players experiencing overexertion. They had it very clear in their minds where to attack us. We had hopes of winning the Champions League and they've been dashed.More news: Pregnant Khloe Kardashian's boyfriend Tristan Thompson apparently seen cheating in new video
Barcelona-based newspaper Mundo Deportivo called the defeat "a historic debacle" and also took aim at the former Athletic Bilbao coach.
Barca, who meet Sevilla in the King's Cup final on April 21, need 10 points from their seven remaining games to clinch their 25th league title.
"But we have to focus on the competitions we have left".More news: Kenya Dips Eight Places in Latest FIFA Rankings
"Roma were better", he said. Roma dominated the game, they believed in themselves.
"It's painful because no one expected this after the advantage we had but you realise what the reality of the Champions League is like when you do things badly, when you make lots of errors, when you don't adapt to the game", a visibly distraught Iniesta told reporters.More news: Apple slashes HomePod production after underwhelming sales
"I feel bad because we wanted to reach the semifinal, but we didn't deserve it today". You've got to weather the storm and there will be tough days, but we have to try to win the two competitions.
- Motorola announces $60 Moto Stereo Speaker mod
- Facebook's Zuckerberg Resists US Senators' Efforts to Commit Him to Regulation
- Modi arrives in TN amid Cauvery row
- Brexit: Cost of 'bonfire' of European Union rules 'vastly outweighs' benefits, says CBI
- Heavy rain storms prompt weather alerts
- Cameroon Athletes Disappear at Australia Commonwealth Games
- New Chelsea signing already considering his future at the club
- Trump, Obama, And Other World Leaders Not Invited To Royal Wedding
- Donald Trump's threat to strike Syria carries peril
- 133000 flee besieged area near Syria's capital, United Nations says