"For example, showcasing lipstick products, because we had the exact boundary of the lips".
The Paris-based beauty behemoth, whose 34 brands include Maybelline and Lancome as well as its namesake beauty products line, did not disclose financial terms of the acquisition.
In a March 16 news release, the Clichy, France-based company said that its acquisition of ModiFace, which it called "an internationally recognized leader in augmented reality and artificial intelligence applied to the beauty industry", would contribute to a digital acceleration strategy aimed at providing L'Oreal's 34 worldwide brands with "the most innovative technologies in terms of services and beauty experience".More news: Rita's Kicks Off Spring With Free Water Ice
Modiface's software allows users to see their faces transformed in real time as they experiment combining blushes and eyeshadow, turning smartphone cameras into mirrors to predict how products will look on their own skin.
This acquisition is in line with L'Oréal's digital acceleration strategy to provide the group's 34 global brands with the most innovative technologies in terms of services and beauty experience, the company said in a statement.
ModiFace will become part of L'Oréal's digital services arm, Digital Services Factory, and collaborate with one of the corporate's R&D units, Advanced Research.More news: Dior Confirms Kim Jones as Men's Wear Artistic Director
In addition to beauty brands, ModiFace is also being used by the likes of Samsung, which has equipped its newest Galaxy S9 smartphones with its augmented reality technology.
ModiFace has not confirmed previous funding rounds.More news: 'Good progress' made in Brexit deal
- NVIDIA announces the RTX ray-tracing technology
- Protest brings train services in India's Mumbai to halt
- Rabada cleared to play third Test vs Australia
- Bills hosting former Raiders OT Marshall Newhouse on free agent visit
- Stalin detained for protesting VHP's Ram Rajya Rath Yatra
- Victor Lindelof & Mourinho's Other New Signings at Man United
- Selena Gomez Was Spotted Chilling On A Yacht At Sydney Harbour
- Jonathan Martin Has Warrant for Arrest; Issued 5 Criminal Charges
- Ex-French Prez Sarkozy in custody over illicit campaign funding probe
- New York Giants sign WR Cody Latimer, obtain three others