"For example, showcasing lipstick products, because we had the exact boundary of the lips".
The Paris-based beauty behemoth, whose 34 brands include Maybelline and Lancome as well as its namesake beauty products line, did not disclose financial terms of the acquisition.
In a March 16 news release, the Clichy, France-based company said that its acquisition of ModiFace, which it called "an internationally recognized leader in augmented reality and artificial intelligence applied to the beauty industry", would contribute to a digital acceleration strategy aimed at providing L'Oreal's 34 worldwide brands with "the most innovative technologies in terms of services and beauty experience".More news: Westbrook, Thunder end Raptors' win streak
Modiface's software allows users to see their faces transformed in real time as they experiment combining blushes and eyeshadow, turning smartphone cameras into mirrors to predict how products will look on their own skin.
This acquisition is in line with L'Oréal's digital acceleration strategy to provide the group's 34 global brands with the most innovative technologies in terms of services and beauty experience, the company said in a statement.
ModiFace will become part of L'Oréal's digital services arm, Digital Services Factory, and collaborate with one of the corporate's R&D units, Advanced Research.More news: Indians held hostage by ISIL in Mosul dead, FM says
In addition to beauty brands, ModiFace is also being used by the likes of Samsung, which has equipped its newest Galaxy S9 smartphones with its augmented reality technology.
ModiFace has not confirmed previous funding rounds.More news: Putin records landslide victory in Russia's presidential poll
- Yemen Vote in Senate, Russia Meddling Add to US-Saudi Summit Intrigue
- New York Giants sign WR Cody Latimer, obtain three others
- Protest brings train services in India's Mumbai to halt
- Trump launches tirade at Robert Mueller and 'biased' Russian Federation inquiry
- Bills hosting former Raiders OT Marshall Newhouse on free agent visit
- Jonathan Martin Has Warrant for Arrest; Issued 5 Criminal Charges
- Stalin detained for protesting VHP's Ram Rajya Rath Yatra
- Delhi Police arrests JNU professor accused of sexual harassment by students
- 0 for 16? These bracket stats are awesome (and sad)
- Rita's Kicks Off Spring With Free Water Ice