Led by Leader of Opposition in the Vidhan Sabha, Sukhpal Khaira, a total of 10 MLAs refused to go to Delhi for attending a meeting called by the party's central leadership to explain the circumstances leading to the tendering of apology by AAP supremo Arvind Kejriwal to SAD leader Bikram Majithia. Though he full-throatedly voices his views after such meetings, the firebrand leader was not in his element this time, making do with a brief press note after the meeting.
With Kejriwal expected to visit Hisar next week, the party unit in Punjab has expressed its concerns over Kejriwal's stance on the Sutlej Yamuna Canal to the party leadership.
The reason Kejriwal had apologised is because he has several cases against him in many parts of the country. "He should clarify how if there was no collusion, the sealed report reached the Sidhu couple", he said. "Forming a separate group or splitting the party would require the consent of two-third of the 20 AAP MLAs", the sources said.More news: Oppo R15 and Oppo R15 Dream Mirror Edition Smartphones Officially Launched
"Anyhow, it rules out any split in the party in Punjab, as of now". However, no final decision was taken on the issue.
Ahead of assembly elections in the state of Punjab previous year, the issue of illegal drugs was a key part of the AAP campaign and the party had used the issue to target the SAD-led state government.
Sandhu also said that he had been seeking autonomy for the Punjab unit for the past three months and had shared the letter with the state's leaders, including Sangrur MP Mann.More news: Fifth Harmony going on 'hiatus,' members to go solo
Bhagwant Mann, who is AAP's Punjab State president and also Aman Arora, who is co-president for the state unit, recently resigned from their posts respectively to protest against Keriwal's apology. Lok Insaf Party, an ally of AAP in Punjab, has also ended its alliance after the apology.
"Ram Jethmalani, a renowned lawyer, charged lakhs of rupees for contesting cases against Jaitley, and all other cases too needs huge money which is not possible for a leader like Kejriwal and party like AAP", said the AAP MLA.More news: WTO chief says U.S. wants reform in trade body, has raised concerns
- Magellan Midstream Partners, LP (MMP) Shares Bought by Castleark Management LLC
- Jordan Henderson reveals message he wrote on Mohamed Salah's matchball
- Ligue 1: Dani Alves strikes late as PSG edge Nice 2-1
- Champions League: Paul Scholes predicts Liverpool vs Manchester City
- £30 fixed-odds betting terminals limit outrageous,…
- Uber self-driving test vehicle involved in accident resulting in pedestrian death
- William Blair Keeps Its "Buy" Rating on Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) Shares Today
- News of Apple display sends Asian supplier shares down
- Renée Zellweger looks unrecognisable as Judy Garland in new biopic
- Google Play Instant lets users sneak a peek