However, on Friday, the former senior police officer stood by his remarks and said he had only meant to "emphasise the importance of protection and security for women". "I can just imagine how lovely Nirbhaya would have been", the ex-DGP was quoted as saying.
That, however, was not the only controversial statement that the former Karnataka DGP made at the event.
Facing flaks for his remarks, the former top cop said the media is misinterpreting his statements. However, Devi did not respond to Sangliana's comments in the function.More news: Salah Scores Four In Liverpool Destruction Of Watford
Later, Cheria, who was also awarded, as a mark of disapprovement of Sangaliana's comment, in her acceptance speech said that when top government officials comment on a woman's "good physique", then it shows that the society still has a long way to go in order to change mindsets and bring lasting change.
At the event - Nirbhaya Awards 2018 - Sangliana also said "people like Nirbhaya attracted the attention of miscreants" and tried to provide safety tips. "This statement was only to highlight the vulnerability of women in general", he said.
Five years after the brutal rape and murder of Nirbhaya, Devi had recently said she still lives in the pain of losing her daughter. "He had said that when you are getting raped it is better not to oppose and if you are overpowered, you should surrender and follow up case later to prevent being killed".More news: Opposition banding together against Modi for next year's poll
On December 16, 2012, Nirbhaya was raped in a moving bus after she boarded it late that night.
In December 2015, the Parliament had passed the juvenile justice bill, which provides for the trial of those between 16 and 18 years of age as adults for heinous offences. She battled for life for 13 days before dying in a Singapore hospital.More news: South Korea Aims For High-Level Talks About Talks With North
- Russia-backed Syrian regime's air strikes kill 30 civilians in Eastern Ghouta
- Footage shows officer at Parkland school shooting failed to act
- Putin considers relocation of Russian Supreme Court to St. Petersburg
- Three killed by blast in Afghan capital Kabul
- Microplastics: Bottled Water May Contain Thousands of Pieces of Plastic Waste
- Theresa May warns of new Russian Federation sanctions as 23 United Kingdom diplomats expelled
- Arkansas faces history test in Butler — March Madness
- Russian Federation expels 23 British diplomats in spy-poisoning response
- Kim Kardashian Shares New Pic of Daughter Chicago
- Former England Batsmen Kevin Pietersen announces retirement from world cricket