Manchester United endured a horrific night on Tuesday but they are now looking to bolster their midfield options for next season.
"Fred will leave in June".
Man City have been firm favourites to secure Fred's signature - as suggested by what Palkin says here - but the Telegraph's James Ducker has claimed that the soon-to-be Premier League champions have cooled their interest in the 25-year-old and will instead focus their attention on finding competition for Fernandinho in defensive midfield.More news: UP, Bihar Bypolls: BJP Lost in All Three Lok Sabha Seats
It's understood City were on the verge of signing Fred - who was being viewed as Fernandinho's long-term replacement - but the runaway Premier League leaders have now pulled out of the transfer race. City tried to get the deal done in January but it was put to the back of the list of priorities when they chose to sign Laporte from Athletic Bilbao.
Manchester City are reportedly keen on Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred.
"It existed, yes, and it still exists", said Fred.
Manchester United or Manchester City?More news: South Africa rebukes Australian minister for white farmer comments
This clears the way for Jose Mourinho to try to sign the talented Brazilian midfielder.
Former Shakhtar boss Mircea Lucescu was confident Fred would join City at the end of the season.
Carrick's passing range hasn't been replicated in the United squad in recent years, and it will be up to a new face such as Fred to help replace that composed creativity in the engine room should he arrive. It's no longer a pipe dream - it will become reality providing Pep Guardiola's side win at Goodison Park. There was a process now in the winter window, and they even made a proposal for Shakhtar, but it didn't happen because of the Champions (League), since I could not play for another team. Fred had scored a stunning free kick in the first leg and he looked like Shakhtar's best player in the tie.More news: Despite cold, dark, Finland tops 2018 global happiness index
- Home Automation: Google Assistant, Amazon Cloud Cam Pick Up New Abilities
- Free for all in Gujarat Assembly
- Yahoo users can sue over data breaches, judge rules
- Oklahoma plans to resume executions, with inert gas or nitrogen
- Minor League Baseball to place runner on base in extra innings
- Shane McMahon's Big WrestleMania 34 Announcement Revealed
- Diddy, Steph Curry included on billionaire's ownership group for Panthers bid
- Jeremy Maclin hits free agency after being released by Baltimore Ravens
- Wright City schools on lockdown after shooting rumor; two under observation
- Mississippi State headed to NIT