YouTube, which has faced a barrage of brand safety controversies in recent months, will turn to the free online encyclopedia Wikipedia in an effort to dilute the influence of conspiracy-driven videos on its platform.
"People can still watch the videos, but then they have access to additional information", she said during the talk, which was moderated by Wired EIC Nicholas Thompson.More news: E3 2018 will be Xbox's 'Biggest Showing Ever' says Microsoft
More news: 3 reasons Rams should consider signing Jordy Nelson following release
The move comes weeks after YouTube was criticized for letting a conspiracy theory video about last month's mass shooting in Parkland, Florida take the top spot in its "Trending" section. YouTube eventually pulled the video for violating its policies. YouTube's autoplay algorithms appear created to promote increasingly radical content, across politics and other subject areas, in an effort to keep users watching as long as possible, according to Zeynep Tufekci, an associate professor at the University of North Carolina.
"We will show as a companion unit next to the video information from Wikipedia showing information about the event", said the company's CEO, Susan Wojcicki, on stage at the film and technology festival SXSW.More news: Miley Cyrus Is Being Sued Over Her 2013 Single 'We Can't Stop'
Wojcicki used several examples, including videos about the moon landing and chemtrails when describing the type of content that would get Wikipedia links. Furthermore, Wojcicki has stated that other sources of information will also be added aside from Wikipedia.
- Ravens Not To Pick Up Option For RT Howard, Release RB Woodhead
- Evacuations ordered ahead of next Southern California storm
- Teachers back walkout protesting gun violence
- China congratulates Nepal President Bhandari on re-election
- Carlos Hyde to sign with Cleveland Browns
- Ex-President Lee Faces Questioning in Corruption Probe
- Slovak junior government party wants early election if coalition collapses
- Federal Appeals Court Upholds Most of Texas' Sanctuary Cities Law
- Keenum Preparing to Sign with Denver
- Milenina leads Russian medal haul in PyeongChang with cross-country sprint gold