Though many companies, Amazon in particular, are now working to shorten the supply chain with grocery delivery, with this move Walmart gains greater control over its supply chain on the production side.
The largest USA retailer is leveraging its stores to roll out online grocery deliveries from 800 Walmart stores by the end of the year.
Walmart has been preparing its stores for its online grocery business, re-outfitting many of them to support the service, CNBC previously reported. No subscription is required.More news: Retail inflation at 4-month low of 4.44 per cent
"We're moving fast", Tom Ward, Walmart's vice president of digital operations, said in an interview.
Walmart began delivering groceries through a pilot program in Phoenix, Denver and San Jose, Calif., two years ago, then expanded the experiment to include Tampa, Fla., Orlando, Fla., and Dallas last year.
"We will. reach as many households as we can", Ward said.More news: Positive energy, genuine affection in Sonia's dinner: Rahul
While Amazon has a grocery delivery service of its own, it has started to use Whole Foods, and its Prime shopping and streaming media service as a mean to add new customers in the sector. "We will leverage our footprint where it makes the most sense". Customers place their orders online at Walmart.com/grocery or on the existing Walmart Grocery App, and unlike other services, they find the same every day low prices on items that they do in stores.
A recent study conducted by the Food Marketing Institute and Nielsen concluded that 70 percent of consumers will be grocery shopping online in as few as five to seven years. Orders can also be placed via a Walmart Grocery app.
Amazon's purchase of Whole Foods Market previous year has raised the stakes in the highly competitive grocery delivery wars. Walmart said more delivery companies will be announced later. It's now using 18,000 personal shoppers. He did not specify which companies will be involved in the expansion and said Walmart will "continue to understand how that is going to look over the next 12 months".More news: Superb Dzeko goal sends Roma into quarter-finals
So far, Walmart offers curbside grocery pickup at 1,200 stores and plans to accelerate the rollout to 2,200 by year-end. "We're serving our customers in ways that no one else can".
- Trump tariff move could spark trade wars that will hurt all: WTO
- Google Plus Codes for Maps announced as digital location-based addressing system
- Pompeo and Circumstance: A 'Rexit' State of Affairs
- Three Men Charged With Minnesota Mosque Bombing
- Federer breezes into Indian Wells fourth round
- QB Case Keenum plans to sign with Broncos
- India's Solar Financing May Have Peaked For Now at $10B in 2017
- Arun Jaitley files nomination for Rajya Sabha polls from Uttar Pradesh
- Rajya Sabha polls: Congress plays caste card in its nominations from Karnataka
- Bihar bypoll UPDATES: RJD leading in Araria, Jehanabad; BJP in Bhabua