In Gorakhpur, a seat represented by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath for last five terms, BJP candidate Upenda Dutt Shukla was leading by 1,666 votes. Phulpur bypoll results 2018: Samajwadi Party's Nagendra Pratap Singh Patel leading by 12,231 votes with 99,557 votes, BJP's Kaushlendra Singh Patel second with 87,326 votes after eight round of counting.
An hour into counting the Samajwadi Party's Nagendra Pratap Singh Patel was leading in Phulpur by with 7600 votes; the BJP's Kaushlendra Singh Patel was at 6,163 votes after round 3.
The results were expected to be declared by afternoon, an Election Commission (EC) official said. In the initial rounds of counting, BJP is leading in both seats.More news: Storylines You Can Expect to See During This Is Us Season 3
However, the Samajwadi Party has claimed that members of the media were not allowed into the counting centres around 11 am as the BJP was trailing. He confirmed that after the fifth round of voting, the SP candidate has 74,077 votes in his kitty while the BJP has 70,317 votes.
There 19.61 lakh voters in Phulpur parliamentary constituency, while there are 19.49 lakh electorate for Gorakhpur Lok Sabha seat.
Ten nominees are in the fray from Gorakhpur, while 22 candidates contested from Phulpur. I know the voters of that area, we will have a win with a comfortable margin of a lakh, says Uttar Pradesh Deputy CM Keshav Prasad Maurya. A constituency won by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on five successive occasions, the saffron party not only has to win Gorakhpur but also retain, if not increase, Adityanath's 2014 victory margin of nearly 3.13 lakh votes.More news: President Trump Wants To Create A 'Space Force' To Fight Space Wars
In Bhabua, BJP's Rinki Pandey is leading over Congress' Sambhu Patel, while Janta Dal-United's Abhiram Sharma is leading from Jahanabad assembly seat over Rashtriya Janata Dal's Suday Yadav. BJP: 43,456 votes, SP: 44,979 votes. Before him, his mentor Yogi Avaidyanath was MP from the seat. In the Bhabua and Jehanabad Assembly constituencies in Bihar, where by-polls were also held, the voter turnout was 54.03 per cent and 50.06 per cent respectively, he said.
In Araria, Bharatiya Janata Party's candidate Pradip Kumar Singh is leading over RJD candidate Sarfaraz Alam.More news: Jeff Goldblum Returns as Dr
- Stephanie Skipper on The Voice Tells Kelly Clarkson "Don't Apologize"
- Confidence building measures along Assam-Mizoram border
- Trump tariff move could spark trade wars that will hurt all: WTO
- Barbershop study trims black men's hair, blood pressure
- Devil May Cry is the Latest Series Crossover for Monster Hunter
- No, a Massive Geomagnetic Storm Will Not Hit Earth on March 18
- Retail inflation at 4-month low of 4.44 per cent
- Ronda Rousey on UFC return: 'WWE is what I enjoy right now'
- Cousins Plans to Sign with Vikings Thursday
- Supreme Court bars foreign lawyers and firms from practising law in India