The CBI has alleged that firms controlled by diamond traders Nirav Modi and his uncle Choksi obtained fraudulent LoUs and letters of credit (LCs) worth Dollars 2 billion (Rs 12,636 crore) from PNB in connivance with bank officials.
State-owned PNB has reported fraudulent issuance of Letters of Undertaking (LoUs)/ Foreign Letters of Credit (FLCs) for payments of import bills, amounting to Rs 12,967.86 crore, to the RBI, Minister of State for Finance Shiv Pratap Shukla said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.
A letter of credit is an assurance from the bank that if the importer defaults, the bank will pay on his behalf.More news: Buhari will negotiate with Boko Haram to release 110 schoolgirls
Two officials at PNB's Brady House branch in Mumbai issued LoUs without authorisation to firms linked to diamantaires Nirav Modi and his uncle Mehul Choksi.
"Letters of credit and bank guarantees for trade credits may continue to be issued subject to compliance with the regulations".
The Punjab National Bank (PNB) will honour claims by peer banks who issued credit to billionaire jeweller Nirav Modi and his uncle Mehul Choksi against guarantees given by PNB, but the payments come with riders.More news: US Deaths Tied to 'Ubiquitous but Insidious' Lead: 410K a Year
An LoU is provided against a margin or a collateral which could be in the form of a fixed deposit.
A senior banker said, "For import of rough diamonds, big suppliers accept only advance remittance".
After the unearthing of the PNB fraud, an RBI notification last month said: "The risks arising from the potential malicious use of the SWIFT infrastructure has always been a component of their operational risk profile".More news: Is Taylor Swift's BF Joe Alwyn in the 'Delicate' Music Video?
During issuance of LoU, there are four parties involved - issuing bank, receiving bank, importer and beneficiary entity overseas. "The instrument (LoU/LoC) is being blamed, taking the focus away from the system failure in PNB", Sanjay Mandavia, an expert on trade finance who arranges buyers credit for SMEs, told The Telegraph.
- Prosecutors to seek death penalty for Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz
- India's PNB discloses $145 mln additional exposure in fraud probe
- Volkswagen bets big on electric with $25 billion battery bonanza
- Roger Federer continues hot form, downs Federico Delbonis at Indian Wells
- Shia LaBeouf Breaks Silence 'Mortifying' Arrest in 2017
- FOX Chair Says Buffy the Vampire Slayer Could Get Revival
- Eagles release veteran TE Brent Celek
- Warriors vs. Timberwolves Highlights, Steph Curry and Jordan Bell's Return, Damian
- Former Panthers OG Andrew Norwell Expected To Sign With Jacksonville
- Chinese takeaway dishes 'should carry warnings about salt content'