Both the Sixers and Flyers went on winning streaks. He spent four and a half seasons there and it was where he re-invented himself.
Arrieta, who helped the Cubs reach three straight National League Championship Series and win that curse-smashing World Series championship in 2016, tweeted a handwritten thank you letter to the city, team and fans.
"In the midst of what felt like never ending adversity and failure, I was traded to the Cubs on July 2nd, 2013", Arrieta wrote.More news: Netflix hit The Crown paid its queen less than her prince
Arrieta, the 2015 National League Cy Young Award victor, was the fourth free agent signed to a multiyear deal by the Phillies this offseason and the fourth eight-figure contract the team has handed out.
A year ago he struggled with inconsistencies as he posted a 4.16 FIP in 168.1 innings and lost a few ticks on his fastball, but in the end he showed there is still enough talent in him to be effective in the future. "I feel like we're not that far away".
Now a member of the Phillies, he said he has stayed in shape and will be ready for the season. Last year, Philadelphia's starters ranked 10th in the NL with a 4.80 ERA and ninth with a 2.48 strikeout-to-walk ratio. The team has been rebuilding the past few years with young prospects but has begun to sign veterans so they can start being competitive while developing young players. A rebuild doesn't mean you can't win now.More news: OPEC says US oil production to rise again in 2018
Previous year the Phillies had a respectable second half after a miserable first half. "He's been through the lowest of lows and he's won a Cy Young and he's a guy who players can relate to and strive to be like". Not only did they add Arrieta, but also ex-Indians slugger Carlos Santana.
Arrieta will join Aaron Nola atop the Phillies' rotation on a team that finished last in the NL East. Jerad Eickhoff and Vince Velasquez are expected to be in the rotation and Nick Pivetta is the leading candidate for the fifth spot.
The Philadelphia Phillies made their boldest move yet.
Optimists might look at the 2015 Cubs as an analogue for the 2018 Phillies.More news: Alicia Vikander leads the Tomb Raider reboot
- The internet can't get over this Chinese journalist's dramatic eye-roll
- Grab forms venture with Japan's Credit Saison for lending services
- Bangladesh court grants bail to former PM Khaleda Zia
- Sunny skies in Boulder today with a high of 55
- Pocket of air found where man's brain should've been
- Probe corruption charges against Shami: CoA chairman
- University, borough business close for winter storm, postpone events
- France Accuses Apple of Abusive Contracts, Will Sue Company
- Warriors' Curry out at least four more games
- Microsoft to add new Azure regions in Germany, Switzerland, UAE