The senior police official stressed that if the suicide attacker had managed to enter the congregation site, the death toll could have been much higher. However, investigators and explosives experts were working to ascertain whether the bomb was planted near the checkpoint. "The police appear to be the target", he said, reports Express News.
The area deputy inspector general police, Haider Ashraf, told reporters a religious congregation of about 60,000 people was underway in the Raiwind area and the bomber on a motorbike meant to attack the worshipers.
Ashraf said evidence at the scene suggested a motorcycle was used.
At least six killed while 30 people, including policemen, injured in a blast at Raiwind, Lahore .More news: Bangladesh court grants bail to former PM Khaleda Zia
The nature of the blast was not immediately clear.
Ashraf said numerous wounded were police and three were hospitalized in critical condition.
The wounded also included members of the Islamic preaching group known as Tablighi Jamaat.More news: Sane Trilogy, keyboard and mouse support
Defunct Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) have reportedly claimed responsibility for the attack.
President of Pakistan Mamnoon Hussian has condemned Raiwind suicide blast while Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi and Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif have directed authorities to provide best possible treatment to injured persons.
This is the first incident of such nature in Lahore this year, however, nearly 60 people lost their lives in terrorist attacks in 2017.
On Easter Sunday in 2016, at least 75 people were killed and hundreds other wounded in a suicide bombing that hit the main entrance of a park.More news: Ben Carson knew about $31000 dining set despite statements to the contrary
- Alicia Vikander leads the Tomb Raider reboot
- Prudential to spin off M&G business
- Serena Williams: 'My room for improvement is incredible'
- University, borough business close for winter storm, postpone events
- Power outages remain a problem after storm
- Warriors' Curry out at least four more games
- FBI's McCabe Expected to Be Fired This Week
- Heynckes breaks Champions League record as Bayern march on
- OPEC says US oil production to rise again in 2018
- Pocket of air found where man's brain should've been